Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#215230 - 01/18/11 09:10 PM Man vs. Wild
Adventureboy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Peoria, AZ ,USA
Okay, so i know there are some mixed opinions about the two mainstream "survival shows" Man vs. Wild and Survivorman. Some love or hate one or the other or both. I have seen people bash Bear both in posts and in signatures for sleeping in a hotel and doing dangerous stuff just for the sake of danger. I agree he does some unnessesary stuff. But still before you insult him for being an foolhardy risk taker, let me see you go out and do the things he does, and then and only then can you say anything and be taken seriously. Oh and I still havent seen any legit proof that he sayed in a hotel, so if you have it bring it forward..........
Adventureboy

#215231 - 01/18/11 09:17 PM Re: Man vs. Wild [Re: Adventureboy]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Bear Grylls has been debated ad nauseam on this forum and other forums around the net so why start a new round of bickering here and now that will not reveal anything that has not been said 1000's of time before...

John Lubbock

#215241 - 01/18/11 10:44 PM Re: Man vs. Wild [Re: Adventureboy]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Musing, as an aside:

Growing up, one of the hardest things to come to terms with was the reluctant realization that the people I admired most, my shining heroes, were in fact all too human. Imperfect, flawed, human, too like me, too like the dull and plodding work-a-day adults I saw around me. Debts and paychecks, booze, politics and pettiness.

For a time, after that hit home fully, I said, "I have no heroes." Meaning, there was no noble example to inspire me; none was worthy. That was a dark place, a hard and empty place. Empty pedestals.

But as time passed, and I dealt with the ongoing stuff of life, the thousand, plodding, petty and essential details, I slowly came to admire my heroes once again, in a more three-dimensional way. Despite their obvious flaws, despite the BS of money and paychecks and politics, they had accomplished things I enjoyed and admired. I take from them the best of what they had to offer; and I endeavour to build on their sound foundations, those that weather the test of the years. And I have forgiven them for being imperfect and plodding and human, like me.

Just musing; just my $0.02. FWIW.

#215243 - 01/18/11 11:05 PM Re: Man vs. Wild [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I retracted everything I wrote. The above poster is right. It's not even worth talking about the obvious fact at hand.

I agree, as well. I have stated my opinion before and if I get all excited it will be bad for the old ticker, and, gee, it will just be a mess.

BTW, I have a background which does qualify me to criticize the subject - more than four decades of field archaeology, combined with caving, and climbing over that same period, 400 plus SAR operations varying in duration from five minutes to two weeks +(I was actually featured on ABC's national news broadcast back in 1981 during one of the more intricate of these), as well as a fair amount of boating, kayaking, and scuba diving. Oh, I almost forgot, military as well, including a tour of nine months in Korea (during which I mostly served coffee and cupcakes in the shape of the 1st Cav insignia to visiting brass -- what a joke). I am certainly not unique or unusual on this forum; there are many with very impressive credentials.

What does frustrate me is that during my active time in SAR, we had an active and successful program teaching the rudiments of outdoor safety to any willing group - it wasn't all field ops, and now we have this stuff spewing from the tube.

Actually, anyone with a brain is fully qualified to catch the many whoppers perpetrated by current TV programming.

Rant over. Time to calm down and take my meds....

#215251 - 01/19/11 12:45 AM Re: Man vs. Wild [Re: Adventureboy]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Oh and I still havent seen any legit proof that he sayed in a hotel, so if you have it bring it forward..........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7304617.stm

Quote:
But still before you insult him for being an foolhardy risk taker, let me see you go out and do the things he does, and then and only then can you say anything and be taken seriously.

I can't afford the exotic locations, special effects or camera crew. wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBmhNA7JME4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/19/11 12:49 AM)

#215276 - 01/19/11 05:13 AM Re: Man vs. Wild [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Very Well Done!Them Highlanders dont Mess Around!

#215296 - 01/19/11 01:20 PM Re: Man vs. Wild [Re: Adventureboy]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Adventureboy
before you insult him for being an foolhardy risk taker, let me see you go out and do the things he does ... then and only then can you say anything and be taken seriously.

Sorry Adventureboy, you just lost me. Your argument doesn't make sense. I don't need to do something foolhardy or dangerous to know that it is. Good judgement and common sense don't needed to be gained by trial and error - at least not by me.

I think the heart of the Bear issues comes down to asking yourself what's survival versus what's adventure. I really like his new book, and am even reading it with my kids. Man vs. Wild is a different story. We watch that too. It's a fun show but IMO, it's an adventure show that shows some great survival stuff along the way, not the other way around. We're naive if we think we can or should do everything he does on that show just because he gets out at the end.

Example? When he climbed that train bridge in his urban survival show, even my seven year old asked why he didn't just walk under it to the other side. And when the train came along and he had no escape except to outrun it or jump 100 feet to his death? That's the stuff of pure adventure, not smart survival.

EDIT: I started the thread about Bear's book to discuss the book. I gave a nod to the debate about the controversy surrounding him, not to start the debate again, but to stop it from sidetracking to discussion about the book. We've got a tendancy to do that around here. wink

Edited by bacpacjac (01/19/11 01:42 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#215297 - 01/19/11 01:28 PM Re: Man vs. Wild [Re: Adventureboy]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
As Mom said " If all your friends jump off a bridge, are you going to jump too?"

I wouldn't do half the stuff Bear does, as I don't have a support staff to bail me out should I do something really stupid and get hurt.

I've been cold/wet/tired/hungry and lost, all at the same time, I don't want or need to do it again.

Thanks but no thanks. Half the stuff Bear does is for dramatic effect. Once in a while you get a nugget of info you can use.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 262 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.