Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#212846 - 12/11/10 03:09 AM Not used in 2010: keep it or donate it?
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Looking at the stuff I am willing to admit was not used in 2010: free-diving gear, suits, dress shoes. Should I keep it or sell / give it away?

How about your stuff?

#212849 - 12/11/10 04:08 AM Re: Not used in 2010: keep it or donate it? [Re: dweste]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Good thread.

I have a 19" Wetterlings Hunters Axe that I cannot bring myself to use, it just feels too long for a one-hand hatchet and too short for a two-hand axe. I should trade/sell it off.

I also bought a Primus 8R Hunter stove (the one in the blue folding metal box) off eBay, good stove but I prefer the similar Primus Svea 123R.

Hennessy Hammock, did not use it but really hope to in 2011.

Dave Cantebury/Blind Horse 1st-Run Engraved Pathfinder Knife, very nice, can't bring myself to beat on it in the bush. I have lots of other knives I can do that to.

I have way to much gear,

Mike

#212857 - 12/11/10 01:01 PM Re: Not used in 2010: keep it or donate it? [Re: dweste]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Some things I keep, but other usefull outdoor items like hunting clothes, knives, camping gear that is XS, I donate to the church rummage sale. I imagine the thrill of a scout finding a camo pouch, mess kit, or a pretty good knife etc for a buck at a rummage sale.

#212858 - 12/11/10 02:21 PM Re: Not used in 2010: keep it or donate it? [Re: dweste]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
My wife gets on me to get rid of stuff - she has a "one year" rule for the most part. However, typically clothing related. We just did it last month. That being said, it's pretty relaxed. We're both in uniform, so our civilian clothing gets worn for like 4 hours a day and on weekends. As you can guess, we don't get to a lot of our wardrobe.

As for camping gear, I tend to hold that like it's an investment. Yeah, i don't camp as much as I want, but that'll change someday. I'd hate to have to drop $1000 again for decent gear. I've sold off some flashlights (anyone want one? PM me for what I have) and knives (ditto!) when I have lots of htem, but I keep some core items.

#212863 - 12/11/10 05:02 PM Re: Not used in 2010: keep it or donate it? [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I no longer use a lot of my gear as much as I used to, even car camping. But most of the items live on as part of my preparedness gear. I can easily see myself camping out in the backyard when a Good One hits (doesn't even have to be Big)or we have an extended power outage.

But I do get rid of gear, like the kayak I haven't put in the water in the last ten years. Anyone want a Feathercraft K2 Expedition, fully loaded, in good condition?

#212870 - 12/11/10 09:24 PM Re: Not used in 2010: keep it or donate it? [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I tend to hold onto unneeded things until they either become needed by me/mine, or I can find a suitable home. Unused tie and dress shoes went to a friend for an interview because he didn't have suitable items. No tie and trainers don't get it for interviews. He got the job and I told him to keep the stuff.

Lost a suit that way. It was intended as a loan but never made it back. He wore it to a funeral and then moved. Never heard from him again. I wish I had it back. Wasn't very expensive, about $400 in 90s dollars but still ...

I used to give camping gear to the Boy Scouts but the local pack changed. Really pushed the anti-gay/religious thing, kicked a couple of boys out, and started being run by a team of evangelicals that changed the tone. All the heathens, the kids with personality, and most of the fun, left with the old scoutmaster.

A decade ago there was a local group of campers that would sponsor inner-city kids and take them out camping. Often to the springs in the summer and sometimes as part of an effort to maintain trails. I gave a lot of stuff to that organization. I'm not sure what happened to them. I suspect the three main guys who started it got old and busy with family and the organization went dormant.

I don't tend to sell old gear. Selling puts the emphasis on money and I wouldn't likely get enough to make it seem worth it. Finding someone who can use it, a good home, feels more gratifying, but it has to be the right people.

Over time this is becoming less of an issue. Back in the day I used to buy a lot of gear, follow trends, keep buying things that are a little better. Now, I just don't see the differences and as I've gone to shorter trips and survival use where a lot of the finer points get lost. Hiking the length of the AT with a cheap backpack is going to be painful. But on an easy overnight trip a pillow case and a length of clothesline will do quite well enough. Once I get a rig that works I tend to stick with it so the volumes of stuff I have to give away has dwindled.

#213108 - 12/15/10 08:41 PM Re: Not used in 2010: keep it or donate it? [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
I also bought a Primus 8R Hunter stove (the one in the blue folding metal box) off eBay, good stove but I prefer the similar Primus Svea 123R.
Interesting. Same conclusion that I've arrived at. They're very similar stoves. Many of the parts are even interchangeable. But dang I like my little Sveas. So little to go wrong. So compact. And such good stoves. Maybe I'll have to sell my 8R's (one working, one needs a little love).

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
I have way to much gear
Um, I don't have that problem. No I don't. Not even close. Please don't talk that way; my wife might hear you. lol.

HJ

#213110 - 12/15/10 09:20 PM Re: Not used in 2010: keep it or donate it? [Re: dweste]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

The camp stuff doesn't re-sell for much, getting the storage space back is a bigger incentive when bulky things are involved.

After getting the teardrop trailer I sold off one tent to a young couple who were just getting started camping. They got a great deal, I got some space back. Still have four tents. Hadn't used them in a few years but it was an unusually hot summer (even at 3700 feet), the teardrop's not air conditioned, so out came the old REI backpack tent for a couple trips. Was darned glad to have it.

My preference is to give things I don't need to family or friends who I know will enjoy them. A niece who lives in Costa Rica has become an avid hiker in the mountains there so when she visits she goes home with hand-me-downs -- last time, a backpack and survival gear.

Here I am now discovering new utility (boiling water) for old gear (1990s Candleliers). So no rush to unload stuff that hasn't been used for a mere year. I have canned food older than that.

#213111 - 12/15/10 09:45 PM Re: Not used in 2010: keep it or donate it? [Re: dweste]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Definition of junk: That stuff that you keep for years and then throw out six weeks before you need it. smile

HJ

#213156 - 12/16/10 01:23 PM Re: Not used in 2010: keep it or donate it? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
Definition of junk: That stuff that you keep for years and then throw out six weeks before you need it.

HJ

Jim,

I love it. Just sent it to my family, who only see my valuble junk stuff as just that - junk grin. But then turn around and ask me if I have _____.

Pete

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.