Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#203498 - 06/15/10 06:15 PM I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice.
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

After spending almost 45 minutes searching for pudding rice I finally found the last 3 500 gram bags at the local supermarket. There were rows and rows of stacked shelves of glorified sugary carbonated water, rows of stacked shelves of deep fried potato products, rows of alcohol and rows of convenience frozen microwave meals.

Tesco pudding Rice. 1lb of luxury survival food for $0.60

I even found a few bags of barley and Scotch broth mix and even canned pinhead oatmeal. Basic baking items such as bread flour, yeast, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda were almost non existent in the supermarket (Tesco's) and the whole range of home baking items limited to one or two shelves.

Lyles Black Treacle. 1lb can for again around $0.60

In an emergency situation or long term economic downturn how are folks going to provide cheap and highly nutritious meals (in comparison to the over priced convenience rubbish) if they don't even have the basic foodstuffs to hand or know how bake a loaf of bread or prepare a simple traditional Victoria Sponge Cake let alone survive on porridge or Clapshot and oatcakes? What ever happened to the ladies like my gran who could actually bake a loaf of bread, bake a traditional cake, make puff pastry or fillet a Cod? The fairer sex seem to be the biggest offenders with the microwave meals at the supermarket checkout. whistle

#203504 - 06/15/10 07:54 PM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
chickenlittle Offline

Loc: Canada
I buy a lot of my food as bulk staples.
I am not sure why people don't prepare more of their own food, but I suspect that they have been sold the idea that it is more work than it really is.
I even see people in my family buying pancake mix.
All that goes into pancake mix is flour, baking powder and a little bit of sugar. If you want egg or milk you have to add it yourself.

My aunt used to hate the idea of cooking rice because she would stand there at the stove simmering and stirring it, and then it would come out as gooey sticky mush.
She started serving rice far more often once she saw how you could just put the rice and water in a pot, bring it to a boil, and set it off the stove to finish cooking. (backpacker trick)
Especially when she found it came out light and fluffy that way.
She was impressed enough with the no fuss way of cooking rice that when my uncle bought her a rice cooker she sent it back because it took too much effort and too much counter space.
She cooks oatmeal like that now too.

Anyhow, what you are describing isn't just UK/EU.
It seems to be all through Canada and USA too.

I admit to buying too much bakery bread myself, but that is because we don't like heating up the house with the oven in the summer.

Edited by chickenlittle (06/15/10 07:55 PM)

#203508 - 06/15/10 08:42 PM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: chickenlittle]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Big Grey Man, I would be hard put to find much here that is useful for under $1. Most containers don't come that small, anymore.

Most of us have been taught since childhood to be good consumers. Advertising is incredibly persuasive, and much of it is subliminal.

We've been convinced that we need two incomes to support the overpriced house and the two expensive cars and all the toys for the kids. That takes time and effort, so there's no time or energy for cooking, don't you know.

Our economy has tanked and all our foolish government can come up with is "Spend more money, folks, and that will fix the problem".

Sue

#203511 - 06/15/10 09:43 PM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Pudding rice: 1. (chiefly British) a short-grained rice used to make rice pudding; also makes reasonable risotto". . . Didn't realize rice pudding required a certain type of rice.

Black Treacle: "Treacle is the generic name for any syrup made during the refining of sugar cane and is defined as "uncrystallized syrup produced in refining sugar". . . "Dark treacle has a distinctively strong flavour, slightly bitter, and a richer colour than golden syrup, yet not as dark as molasses." From that I would assume Black Treacle is what I would refer to as molasses. Good stuff.

My sister still bakes from scratch. She has a lighter flakier crust than any common bakery, much better IMO. Bread, pie, whatever bakery item is NBD for her.

#203523 - 06/16/10 12:16 PM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: Susan]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I would be hard put to find much here that is useful for under $1. Most containers don't come that small, anymore.

Larger bulk items are of course even more cost effective. It is possible to have a basic food store of the staples for emergency use which would last a single person up to to 20 days for around $30 assuming 2200 Kcal/day just using the range of items which can be picked up at the local supermarket. With the larger bulk saving items I reckon that 30 days food supply i.e. a Month of food per person could be possibly for around $40. The trick is budgeting and planning and the ability to prepare meals from these basic items such as bread flour, rice, pasta, olive oil etc.

Having a garden or allotment can provide the freshest fruit and vegetables to supplement the staple items in the food pantry.

I was attempting today to spread sheet a way of budgeting a weeks food per person for $15 for the basic staples. It is not easy simply because of the size of the packaging for individual food items. It gets a lot easier when bugdeting over a period of a month as some there are considerable savings to be made when buying in bulk.

Quote:
Most of us have been taught since childhood to be good consumers. Advertising is incredibly persuasive, and much of it is subliminal.

Chef Anthony Bourdain has an interesting take on countering the subliminal messaging/advertising from the fast food industry. laugh

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jun/12/anthony-bourdain-war-fast-food

Saving considerable amount of money and having tasty nutritious meals just take a little preparedness.

Quote:
We've been convinced that we need two incomes to support the overpriced house and the two expensive cars and all the toys for the kids. That takes time and effort, so there's no time or energy for cooking, don't you know.

The age of instant gratification and the convenience lifestyle is coming to a close. It is basically unsustainable. Those that prepare for the mental challenge of the change from the convenience based to the self sustaining lifestyle will be best prepared for the future. All that is required is to look to the past and learn from those who have 'seen that, done that'. Folks might even be a little happier with the change, even though they have less money to throw around. wink

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/16/10 12:36 PM)

#203531 - 06/16/10 05:31 PM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"Chef Anthony Bourdain has an interesting take on countering the subliminal messaging/advertising from the fast food industry."

Funny! But a friend of mine had a better idea. She said when you are tempted to grab something from a fast food place, to stop and imagine that they've whirled a whole cockroach in the chocolate shake, or there is a mouse embedded in the hamburger between the bun, looking at you with XX eyes.

Sue

#203532 - 06/16/10 05:33 PM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: Russ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Russ, the best pudding rice here in the U.S. is Sweet White Rice from Bob's Red Mill. Until I tried it, I hadn't realized what a difference it would make.

Sue

#203534 - 06/16/10 06:03 PM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: Susan]
Carpal Tunnel

Ronald McD always reminds me of this fella; shocked

Although trying to install Coulrophobia into young children may have its downsides as well. wink

#203535 - 06/16/10 06:50 PM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks, may have to try that. I actually like rice pudding and making my own would allow me to experiment.

#203540 - 06/16/10 11:02 PM Re: I cleared the supermarket of all its Pudding Rice. [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Am, there you go speaking that crazy gobbley-de-gook British again. I didn't understand the first 2/3 of your post.

Treacle? Pinned oatmeal? Victoria sponge cake? Clapshot? Oatcake?

I get your point though - it's hard to find food before processing. In the US, rice is pretty popular (probably b/c of our immigrants?), but other grains are difficult to impossible to find. I don't think I've ever seen barley outside of a home-brewing shop, only a few types of yeast at any store, and never plain old "oats" anywhere. Sure, oatmeal... but is that the same thing?

And I admit I'm guilty of it too. I have a 3lbs bag of rice, some oatmeal, and lots of "instant" potatoes as my starches. I can't cook worth a damn.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 502 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.