Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#200256 - 04/16/10 12:42 AM Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity.
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hey "ya'll",
Don't know if you remember me or not, it's been way too long since I came on. Things get busy, and surviving life has taken precedence over internet down time!

So, in case anyone's interested... I got a weekend extra money kinda job cleaning beach houses and condos. It has occurred to me during these cleanings that if one were to be unfortunate enough to be on a tourist trap island like the Emerald Isle (NC) when Z-DAY hits..... you're gonna have a hard time making it. Especially if the bridges are blown and you're stuck trying to live off of fully stocked bars and convenience store foods! For this reason alone, I have concluded that I really need to get together a car emergency kit!

Next, having been a stay at home mum for nearly four years now, I had forgotten how annoying most people can be. A girl in particular feels the need to say "YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN" after nearly every. single.sentence. You know what I mean? However, this is not just a random rant. I have learned a valuable skill that will be applicable in ANY survival situation. **Keep Your Cool**

And finally, remember that puppy I was asking about? What kind I should get and what not? Well, after learning the the German Shepherd's nickname is "German-Shedder"..... I decided to go with my long desired....... doberman. smile
His name is Niko.

FINALLY,
I know I can't contribute much to the gear/tech aspect of these forums, but hope ya welcome me back for my perspective on things! smile

Take care!

~Marion C. Garretty

#200263 - 04/16/10 01:17 AM Re: Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity. [Re: Krista]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Welcome back, Krista.

Niko is a doll!

And yes, a car emergency kit is a wise idea. Especially when you're traipsing back and forth to an island.

What are you planning on putting in it?

#200266 - 04/16/10 01:46 AM Re: Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity. [Re: Dagny]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Glad to see you back. Your puppy is darling. I second Dagney on the car emergency kit. I carry one in my suv for me and my two Dobermans.

Dobe puppies are very susceptible to Parvo so make sure you get Niko to a good vet and started on puppy shots. I get mine out for socialization before the series of puppy shots are completed but I do use caution to avoid places frequented by lots of dogs like parks or pet stores. Lots of puppy socialization is very important with this breed.

Best of luck.

#200274 - 04/16/10 03:05 AM Re: Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity. [Re: rebwa]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Welcome ... like ... it's cool ... you know what I mean.

#200277 - 04/16/10 03:46 AM Re: Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I worked for a vet for 12 yrs and only met one psycho-Dobe, the others were jewels. I don't know what they're breeding them like now, but with care, he should be fine.

+1 on those vaccinations! Dobes and Rotties are both very susceptible to parvo. And don't forget the microchip AND the collar.

He's as cute as a bug's ear!

Sue

#200286 - 04/16/10 11:31 AM Re: Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity. [Re: Susan]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
He's a cutey - I'll Nth - almost ever dobie I've met has been a sweet dog
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#200294 - 04/16/10 12:56 PM Re: Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity. [Re: KG2V]
Krista Offline

Thanks everyone! Niko is scheduled for his second shots and microchipping on May 5th, so those preparations are ready to go!

Now, as for the car kit.... here is what I already carry in my car:

-bungee cords/tie downs
-flares
-basic tools (screwdrivers, ratchet, wrench, etc
-flashlight (and extra batteries)
-wet wipes and hand sanitizer
-first aid kit
-atlas
-trash bags (a necessity with so many kids and activities, lol!)
and of course, if I happen to be cleaning, lol, I'll have a bunch of cleaning supplies!

Here is what I think I should add:

*small knife (like a pocket knife or something)
*some water and food items (granola bars, small tuna cans, crackers?)
*small bag dog food (in case the pups are with me when Im stranded on the island!)
*tylenol, ibuprofen (I always have a headache, not sure why i don't ALREADY have these in the car!)
*blanket (for those rare chilly days)

So, how's that sound to start? I'd like to keep supplies contained in a decent sized plastic bin. I have lots of room in my mom-mobile (i.e. minivan)... but I don't want to have to take stuff out to make room when we go to do family things.

~Marion C. Garretty

#200295 - 04/16/10 12:59 PM Re: Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity [Re: rebwa]
Krista Offline

oh and rebwa, i have already started him with socialization (safely). Like you said, its best to avoid other dogs cause you can never tell if they're UTD on their shots. We have been walking around my house, and he has met the neighbors and the mailman so far! smile

~Marion C. Garretty

#200308 - 04/16/10 02:35 PM Re: Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity [Re: Krista]
Adventureboy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Peoria, AZ ,USA
Are you telling me your dog actually LIKES the mail man. This would likley be a first, since they are natural born enemies. Right??? JK JK JK JK JK. But Seriously Nico is a real cutie. You are blessed to have my dream dog. Heck, yall are blessed to have a dog at all. I want a dog soooooo bad but with 6 kids in the house and 4 of them under 10 it is banned by Mom and Dad for now.:( *sniffs*
adventureboy

Edited by Adventureboy (04/16/10 02:36 PM)

#200322 - 04/16/10 05:02 PM Re: Puppies, Beach houses, and surviving stupidity. [Re: Krista]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Congratulations on the new pup, he is a cutie. I know it is traditional in many circles to crop the ears and dock the tail of this breed, but my personal feeling is they look a whole lot better untouched.

When I was in school (eons ago) two of our professors both had Dobermans as pets, which were always around the school (this was Vet Tech School, so it was not uncommon for dogs to be running around the building). One was a sweetheart, he would “smile” whenever he met you at the door, the other was not quite so friendly. It always gave you pause whenever you were approached by one, not being quite sure which one was greeting you until you got the “smile” and not the growl.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 524 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
16 minutes 51 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.