The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#195976 - 02/16/10 05:56 PM Degrees of Stupid
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA

One of my rail crews was telling me about something really stupid that a relative had done, and he said two things that stuck in my mind: “there are degrees of stupidity’ and “some people are chronic idiots”.

I got to thinking about that on the way home, and decided he’s right.

The following is my thinking alone, and many people will disagree. So be it -- it isn't like people haven't disagreed with me before. I’ll start from the top and work my way down. Then let the flaming begin! grin

DUMB - Everyone is dumb sometimes. It’s like a brief mental short-circuit, where you kind of even surprise yourself. Dumb is when the results affect only yourself, or if in a group it mainly just makes you look foolish – no one is injured or killed. You usually know when you do it because a thought flicks through your mind right afterward: “I can’t believe I did that”, or “That was so dumb I’m glad no one was around to see me do it”. If you’re in a group, you can say “I’m sorry – that was really dumb – I don’t know why I did it”, and everything is usually okay.

This is going three miles to work in winter with no coat or jacket in the car, and the only shoes you’ve got are high heels, and you thought that tire looked a little low the other day. This is not checking the gas gauge before you drive over the sparsely-inhabited mountain pass. This is not learning how to change a tire.

CHRONICALLY DUMB
- You’ve known these people. They’re always doing dumb things. They’re frequently relatively intelligent people and they’re nice, but they do one dumb thing after another. You get to expect it. Their mental short circuit has some rust involved and it’s an everyday thing.

I have a friend of 50 years who fits into this category. She has a measured IQ of 162, and a memory for the written word like a steel trap. She forgets to lock the doors and has been burglarized more than once. She drove to the hospital for a procedure and took her dogs. She went to work and left the car running all day. She took Destructo-Dog in her brand-new car and left her alone for over an hour – incredible damage! But she’s never hurt anyone else, or put them in danger.

CONSTANT IDIOCY
– Some people say this is always a mix of youth and testosterone, but I’m not sure that I agree… well, totally. Girls with multiple car accidents seem to somehow fit into this category, and so do girls that have unprotected sex. Of course, some people may overlap categories, but that’s for their psychiatrists to figure out. However, this IS the category that is often captured on video because until the person is either unconscious or dead, they’ll do it again.

Those who skateboard down railings and keep landing on their heads, those who jump their bicycles from rooftop to rooftop over railroad tracks with the train coming, those who always think “It wont’ happen to me” are some of the ones I think about here.

STUPID is a big step down. People who do stupid things tend to make poor decisions in many things, and sometimes they put themselves or others in danger. Some people are only occasionally stupid, so it comes as kind of a shock to the people who know them, but who are even more shocked at how the person rationalizes their actions.

People who drive while texting fit here. People who are talking on their cell phone, and juggling a latté and doing their nails fit here. Many/most politicians fit here, as they’re totally divorced from reality and cause-and-effect. People who have wild animals as pets definitely fit here. Guys who pee on electric fences fit here. It’s the “Hey, guys, watch this!” category.

INTENSELY STUPID is the main source of Darwin Award material. These people are either constantly doing incredibly stupid things, or they’re just regularly stupid and then occasionally just surpass all their previous efforts. These are the ones who kill themselves accidentally, almost kill themselves, or injure or kill other people with their unbelievably bad decisions.

It’s driving drunk. It’s driving over the Continental Divide in winter. It’s going into the desert in summer with minimal water. It’s constantly veering off the road to hit animals. It’s making a propane tank bomb for a big family 4th of July party. It’s making a ‘hot wire’ by just sticking a length of bare reel wire into an electrical outlet. It’s robbing a gun shop. It’s digging a basement under your whole house with no supports.

SELF-CENTERED STUPIDITY
- Some people skip over all the previous forms of stupid and go directly to this form of it. These are the people who only think about themselves, only consider what they want, and the thought of how their actions will affect others (even those close to them) never crosses their minds. They’re usually quite intelligent, but they’ve got a missing cog on their mental wheel. This form of stupidity can often backfire on them, but in my opinion, it never happens soon enough, hard enough, or in many cases, often enough.

Petty criminals fit here – too dumb, too lazy and too greedy to put all that effort into a legitimate business. Many business people fit here, as their overwhelming greed focuses ONLY on making more money, no matter what; if it’s illegal and they can get away with it, they’ll do it. Someone did a poll (CA, 1980s, I think), asking if people would commit a murder if it would look good on their resumé. Over 50% said they would.

CRIMINAL STUPIDITY – This is just about the end of the list. You don’t get much more stupid than this. This is where considerable technical intelligence meets supreme greed. Not only are these people obsessed with their need for total control, but also they’re completely able to find, support, buy and direct other people who think they are smart, but who are only pawns. They are willing to destroy nearly everything in their quest for Power, and they often succeed.

Unfortunately, not only Big Money supports this concept. Many middle-income people support this, I think mainly because they would do it if they could. They always seem to overlook the big picture, always just seeing as far as the money, what the money will buy, or the control – they NEVER look farther down the road to where their actions will ultimately lead, which is, of course, the ULTIMATE STUPIDITY.

And that’s all I have to say about that.

Sue

#195979 - 02/16/10 06:25 PM Re: Degrees of Stupid [Re: Susan]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
you are dead on with criminals. their answer to everything is to hurt people. and the fact that their behaviour is going to obviously hurt themselves, never occurs to them. only people who don't see the results of criminals actions have sympathy for them.

it's the same with the selfish but not criminal. it's a kind of unconscious aggression against others; eg 'I can't just tell everyone 'to go to hell' so I'll always be late instead'. the idea that wherever they go, everyone soon hates them, might be because of their behaviour never occurs to them.
The Sock

#195980 - 02/16/10 06:34 PM Re: Degrees of Stupid [Re: Susan]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I really enjoyed reading this, Susan!
Originally Posted By: Susan

Then let the flaming begin! grin

Right on smile

Originally Posted By: Susan

CONSTANT IDIOCY – Some people say this is always a mix of youth and testosterone

Those who skateboard down railings and keep landing on their heads, those who jump their bicycles from rooftop to rooftop over railroad tracks with the train coming

Some particular intriguing aspect: What allowance is there for high risk seekers in our society? I'm a low to medium risk seeker, enjoying speed and just a tiny bit of adrealine rush. Like skiing. Nothing extreme. But I think I can understand the thrill that make people do extreme stuff like base jumping.

What risks are acceptable? Clueless wandering off ill prepared into the bush is not risk seeking - that is just plain stupidity and neglect. Deliberately testing your primitive living skills in rough conditions is not necessarily stupid (although a safety net is vise).

To me, a the conscious risk analysis before the act makes the whole difference. If you take your time to think through what can go wrong and how you should deal with it, then it is a calculated risk - not stupidity. The majority of Darwin award winners have applied very little risk analysis ...

Edited by MostlyHarmless (02/16/10 06:36 PM)

#195982 - 02/16/10 07:17 PM Re: Degrees of Stupid [Re: MostlyHarmless]
pworks36 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Florida
Nicely done. Reminiscent of Patrick McManus' column, "The Full Bore Linear Panic."

Thank you.

#195984 - 02/16/10 07:36 PM Re: Degrees of Stupid [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Adventureboy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Peoria, AZ ,USA

I aggre with mostly harmless. A little risk seeking is okay. But not, how you say?.... Reckless endangerment.

my 0.02

Edited by ZPadventureboy (02/16/10 07:37 PM)
Edit Reason: crappy grammar

#195987 - 02/16/10 08:09 PM Re: Degrees of Stupid [Re: Susan]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
wow--you put a lot of time and energy into that..good run down of the issue.outside of the rail guys did something else bring that on or does it just seem like there is a lot more "stupid" going around lately....hummm--thinking about it for a second i can see those "funny" video programs on one end--do something dumb and get on TV and the Bear and other survival shows on the other end,don't do something dumb and live--

#195989 - 02/16/10 08:11 PM Re: Degrees of Stupid [Re: pworks36]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: pworks36
Nicely done. Reminiscent of Patrick McManus' column, "The Full Bore Linear Panic."

Thank you.

One of my all-time favorite essays on wilderness survival!

#195990 - 02/16/10 08:24 PM Re: Degrees of Stupid [Re: CANOEDOGS]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I like to think I am more switched on than most people, but I can certainly look back on my life, and parts of it likely fit into all of those categories to some degree. I'd like to think that, as I got older, I got wiser. But, I really just think that I have beaten the odds smile

#195991 - 02/16/10 08:29 PM Re: Degrees of Stupid [Re: Susan]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Some nice classification of various levels of stupid. Hanging around stupid folks can be highly stressful. There is many a day I know how Father Ted feels.

#196008 - 02/17/10 02:00 AM Re: Degrees of Stupid [Re: Susan]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I think this should be a sticky thread titled "Sue's Intelligence Continuum (SIC)"

smileDUMB - CHRONICALLY DUMB - CONSTANT IDIOCY STUPID - INTENSELY STUPID - SELF-CENTERED STUPIDITY - CRIMINAL STUPIDITY - ULTIMATE STUPIDITYfrown

Notice there's no rating better than "DUMB"

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 492 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.