Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#189808 - 12/03/09 01:28 PM Preparedness arouses suspicion
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#189810 - 12/03/09 01:41 PM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I "did something suspicious with flashlights" a while ago (roving the neighborhood looking for a lost pet). Reported by neighbors, I got a good chance to review proper procedures when dealing with The Law - be calm, courteous, keep your hands in view, no sudden moves. The officer and his backup were professional, thorough, and likewise courteous. A good experience.

#189818 - 12/03/09 02:51 PM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: hikermor]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
I've often wondered what would happen if a neighbor looked in the window and noticed me snooping around my own house at 3am with my flashlight. I don't like to turn on the lights when I go for a drink of water, as it kills my night vision much more than just using a small handheld light to navigate the stairs.

I probably look just like a burglar would look if he was trying not to wake up the family sleeping upstairs. That's because I'm trying not to wake up the family sleeping upstairs.

Note: There have been an alarming number of burglaries in the area lately, some that have resulted in confrontations with homeowners (one that resulted in shots fired by a homeowner who the badguys didn't realize was home, and one I would classify as a real "home invasion" with the badguys dressed as utility workers and forcing their way in once the door was opened. Nobody was hurt, but scary nonetheless). If I saw someone waking in my neighbors house at 3am with a flashlight right now, I'd likely call it into the police.

#189822 - 12/03/09 03:06 PM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: Jesselp]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

"...not suspicious, but merely Canadians."

LOL.

A couple of weeks ago, I was walking my dog for her evening constitutional when squad cars suddenly were zooming every which way around the neighborhood. One officer slammed on the brakes to ask if I'd seen a guy running that fit a certain description.

Then a helicopter trained it's spotlight on us.

So I removed my hat and told my pup to do her business fast.

In the wrong place at the wrong time, anyone's suspicious.

#189843 - 12/03/09 07:38 PM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: Jesselp]
ajax Offline

Originally Posted By: Jesselp
I've often wondered what would happen if a neighbor looked in the window and noticed me snooping around my own house at 3am with my flashlight. I don't like to turn on the lights when I go for a drink of water, as it kills my night vision much more than just using a small handheld light to navigate the stairs.

I do and have wondered the same thing!

Ironically, if I saw someone using a flashie late at night at my neighbors I probably would call the cops!

Mostly because I know they aren't gadget-inclined and would only do so in a blackout.

#189850 - 12/03/09 08:36 PM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: ajax]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Being a flashaholic, I use my toys all the time, even when I don't really need them. The cops around here would be real busy if my neighbors reported me for suspicious flashlight activity with every light blink!

#189864 - 12/04/09 12:18 AM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: haertig]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Use a flashlight, go to prison. I like it.

Seriously, despite the comic writeup, what else is law enforcement to do if not check into things that are out of the ordinary?

I customarily use a red lens on all my lights to avoid impairing my night vision or spooking animals [most of whom are apparently red color blind]. Several times folks have called out asking if something was on fire, but not LEO interest as yet.

#189877 - 12/04/09 04:19 AM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
"Not suspicious, merely Canadian" -- I love it. That's my new logo.

Sorry, but there's nothing aboot us that really sticks out, eh? Aside from our large flashlights, how would you know? whistle

#189885 - 12/04/09 08:58 AM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: Jesselp]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Jesselp

I probably look just like a burglar would look if he was trying not to wake up the family sleeping upstairs. That's because I'm trying not to wake up the family sleeping upstairs.

Note: There have been an alarming number of burglaries in the area lately, some that have resulted in confrontations with homeowners (one that resulted in shots fired by a homeowner who the badguys didn't realize was home, and one I would classify as a real "home invasion" with the badguys dressed as utility workers and forcing their way in once the door was opened. Nobody was hurt, but scary nonetheless). If I saw someone waking in my neighbors house at 3am with a flashlight right now, I'd likely call it into the police.

2 points: I do the exact same thing with my light, every day. Usually b/c my girlfriend and I work odd hours, so this month I'm up 2 hours before her (I HATE 4am)

the other thing? A home invasion, shots fired, no one hurt? He just broke half the rules on gun control, the big one being, don't shoot at something you don't intend to hit.

#189895 - 12/04/09 02:29 PM Re: Preparedness arouses suspicion [Re: MDinana]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: MDinana
the other thing? A home invasion, shots fired, no one hurt? He just broke half the rules on gun control, the big one being, don't shoot at something you don't intend to hit.

Two separate incidents. In the first, shots were fired. The second, thieves dressed as utility workers forced their way into a home, tied up the residents, and ransacked the place, taking whatever they wanted. That's the one where nobody was hurt in the end.

There was another one a few months back where the homeowner confronted theives in his home. He was armed with an AK47 of some sort and fired at them, but missed (at across the livingroom distances). It was generally assumed that he wanted to get his point across without the legal hassle that comes with dead badguys in the livingroom here in the northeast.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 538 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.