Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#184119 - 10/03/09 03:26 AM prepare for super typhoon?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Super Typhoon storm is heading toward the Phillipines.

What gears & stuff would you bring in the evacuation if it were to hit the US?

I can think of few thinks.

1. can foods, cooking stoves, fuel, cooking utensils
2. dehydrated foods
3. high capacity water filter
4. tents, flashlights, sleeping bag,
5. large first aid kit.

#184120 - 10/03/09 03:39 AM Re: prepare for super typhoon? [Re: picard120]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Television. I am far enough from the coast it should not be a problem. I would be getting ready for tornados and such as the storm moved inland. Not not much evacuating from those when you live in tornado alley. Plus they are a very localized event.

In the Philippines I would bring a plane ticket and get out way early.

RIP OBG

#184124 - 10/03/09 04:10 AM Re: prepare for super typhoon? [Re: picard120]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i think you would need everything it take's to start over again..

Edited by CANOEDOGS (10/03/09 04:12 AM)

#184155 - 10/03/09 02:36 PM Re: prepare for super typhoon? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Start with a house (with shutters) that is designed to withstand the wind, high enough to avoid any flooding or storm surge. In the Philippines, coconuts are projectile weapons during typhoons. In 1976 a typhoon literally defoliated Guam. Very high windspeeds and on a small island, there is no inland far enough to slow the wind.

#184298 - 10/05/09 03:42 AM Re: prepare for super typhoon? [Re: Russ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Its hard to compare a super typhoon in the Pacific and a super hurricane on the east coast or gulf region. The main difference is you really can't evac to a safer location, your stuck on an island.

Reading into your question, are you trying to link damage from tsunami's with damage from typhoons/hurricanes. If you are, you can't. Tsunamis are what the movie Deep Impact would call a ELE- extinction level event. No warning, total destruction. Typhoons are forecasted and for the most part the hardened facilities and building are designed to take the weather.

Regarding just typhoons or even supertyphoons most people stay with their land or in their homes and wait rebuild. As they say, "its island time' and people will go 3-6 months or years to get their homes back up to snuff.

I lived on Guam and went through numerous Cat 3's, a half dozen or so Cat 4 & 5's, and one 'supertyphoon'. Oh yeah and one 8.3 earthquake with a couple dozen 6.0+ aftershocks and thousands more less than.

We kept 15 x 5 gallons purified water jugs and filled both bathtubs for another roughly 50 gallons each when the storms hit. Plus a lot of canned foods like chili, spam, Vienna sausages, beans, rice, veggies, applesauce, etc. I blew through a First Need filter drawing water from tree stumps when necessary. Sterno, camping gaz. A generator for a light, rice pot and hot plate. Lots of batteries for lights and radios.

I would add duct tape for windows and door frames, tarps and cordage to make a temp shelter to live in or patch up the residence.

#184312 - 10/05/09 12:19 PM Re: prepare for super typhoon? [Re: comms]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
For one memorable typhoon, I taped my windows and then went to the squadron where my crew was scheduled to take a plane and fly off the island. For many typhoons I was already off-island (after I taped my windows the first time, I left them taped). We flew to Cubi Pt in the Philippines and after hitting Guam the typhoon track pointed at the PI; we got back in the plane and returned to Guam.

Squadron hangar was filled with general aviation acft that didn't have the range to leave -- they were fine. I was fine, apartment was fine (way above sea level), car was wet but started (gas tank filled before I left). A couple days later everything was back to normal. This was repeated many times during my tour in WestPac.

I actually stayed on island once for a large typhoon. The acft that could fly went off-island, full crews, mission ready. We had two acft in maintenance that could not fly and being it was a Navy squadron, we shoehorned a lot of small acft into the hangar under the wings of the larger acft. The hangar was full.

The only homes that I cared about at the time -- besides my apartment, which I didn't really care about wink -- were built of concrete block and had roofing material that wouldn't blow off. I have no idea what those homes were rated at, but they were easily cat 4, probably cat 5.

During one typhoon when I left the island, one of the guys who lived on base borrowed my car. He tracked the storm path, and put my car and his on the leeward side of his house. During eye passage he moved both cars to the other side. Not a scratch, car was waiting for me at the squadron when I got back. It was actually fun in a twisted way, but hey, they paid me too smile

Edited by Russ (10/05/09 02:29 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 517 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.