Topic Options
#183920 - 10/01/09 06:03 PM Ultra-low energy fridge
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I just came across this article and thought it was worth sharing:
A fridge that takes only 0.1 kWh a day?

In a nutshell, an off-the-gridder converted a chest freezer into an ultra-efficient refrigerator simply by installing a secondary thermostat which cuts off the motor once the correct temperature is reached.

The downside is that being a chest getting stuff out isn't always easy, but if you want a fridge you can run off solar cells it's worth the hassle.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#183923 - 10/01/09 07:13 PM Re: Ultra-low energy fridge [Re: Blast]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm still waiting for my Vestfrost SE255 to be delivered. Excellent article BTW. The simple analogue bang bang controller looks like it could be refined much further. Looks like another another PIC chip project grin so I can control the temperature of the Freezer and operate it as a Fridge or Freezer if need be from my ongoing solar project without voiding the warranty.

The inverter I have chosen is a WAECO SinePower MSP352/MSP354 which allows the inverter to be switched on and off remotely from the digital thermostat controller, with the possibility of implementing a 3-term temperature control law for tighter set point temperature regulation. The thermostat controller could even chill the fridge even cooler down to 1-2 C during the day when there is plenty of solar energy and draw down less energy during the night time so that the temperature rises slowly up to 5-6C overnight thus saving the lifetime of the battery array by minimizing deep cycling effects. A relay could also be used, so as to switch from the Solar Battery Array/inverter 240V source to mains if the batteries become too discharged.

#183924 - 10/01/09 07:19 PM Re: Ultra-low energy fridge [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Thank you. Got it.

#183952 - 10/02/09 01:08 AM Re: Ultra-low energy fridge [Re: scafool]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I always thought about that!

I wonder how long the stuff will last constantly switching on and off???

#183953 - 10/02/09 01:17 AM Re: Ultra-low energy fridge [Re: Todd W]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Due to the better insulation and design of the freezer it doesn't cycle on and off much. According to the author the compressor only runs 90 seconds per hour.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#183955 - 10/02/09 01:24 AM Re: Ultra-low energy fridge [Re: scafool]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The guy uses hanging or stacking baskets to put his food in. They're really for freezers, so they fit. He puts his most-used stuff in the top baskets and least-used ones in the bottom baskets.

Some look like this: http://stockingthelarder.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-i-organized-my-chest-freezer.html Sometimes you can find them on Craigslist, and you might be able to find them at a place that accepts discarded freezers/refrigerators.

That's a lot of savings for a little bit of inconvenience.

Sue

#183965 - 10/02/09 02:19 AM Re: Ultra-low energy fridge [Re: Susan]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I saw this a few years ago. Very interesting and worthwhile experiment, from an energy efficiency point of view.

A friend tells me you can order conversion kits online, but I have no info regarding cost or quality.

In a big-trouble scenario, I think super-energy-efficient freezing is what counts the most. Refrigeration is a novelty more than a necessity, except for certain meds. (I.e., take some ice from your freezer and put it in a super-insulated box with today's leftovers.) My 0.02.

If someone wants to try it, perfectly serviceable freezers are free for the taking. They work great, but suck too much juice to keep around. Block of ice in the bottom third, a sealed and thick insulating blanket, and a timer that runs ten minutes every three hours. Boom, it's a chest fridge.

Edited by dougwalkabout (10/02/09 02:20 AM)

#183975 - 10/02/09 04:12 AM Re: Ultra-low energy fridge [Re: dougwalkabout]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
There's no inherent value to a digital thermostat over analog other than precision. If a few degrees either way don't matter - and they won't here - then analog would seem simpler and more efficient.

He never seems to have looked into the insulation properties of his freezer vs. refrigerator. I bet that freezer leaks heat a lot less, and that this accounts for a lot of the efficiency gains.

A neat idea, but it needs a lot of space. I don't have room anywhere indoors for such a thing.

#184037 - 10/02/09 06:25 PM Re: Ultra-low energy fridge [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"He never seems to have looked into the insulation properties of his freezer vs. refrigerator. I bet that freezer leaks heat a lot less, and that this accounts for a lot of the efficiency gains."

He used a Vestfrost freezer, which has the rep of being one of the most efficient brands around, using half the power of a regular freezer. I would assume that he took that into consideration when he made his choice.

Sue

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 499 Guests and 98 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.