Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#170360 - 03/30/09 05:28 PM New Zealand: Input please
Packman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Southwest Coast, Florida
Hello all,

Work will likely take me to New Zealand sometime in the next year to year and a half. I'd like anyone who's been there (and hopefully we have someone who's FROM there on here...) to please chime in with any impressions. My stay would be about a year long on the short end, with the potential to become a permanent relocation. Input from any pilots would be much appreciated as well!

A bit of my background:
-I'm a male in my 20's
-From South Florida
-I'm a pilot here, and will likely be working as a pilot in NZ

What I'm looking for:
-How are Americans recieved?
-Particular pitfalls/gotchas
-What to do/where to go
-Information on the Aviation industry
-Anything else useful

Thanks much! (Pics are appreciated too, if they're helpful)

Packman

#170367 - 03/30/09 06:34 PM Re: New Zealand: Input please [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
New Zealand is about the same socially as much of Australia. I worked with a number of "Kiwi's" while in Brisbane (Kiwi is what Australians call anyone from NZ. Although you might here that title a lot, don't use it unless you are on friendly terms with the person you are addressing. It's like calling an Aussie bloke and "Ocker", or an American a "Dumb Yank"), and they are all good mates. Americans are considered a bit of a novelty still down there, but it is getting better than it was. Learn to drink beer any time of day, be interested in Rugby and Cricket, and use a lot of American slang. If you can stand it, try and develop a taste for Marmite (as close as you can get to vegemite these days, thanks to our stupid import laws).

If you have a chance and you think you are into it, sea kayaking around the north end of the islands is really fantastic. Also, if you can chance to get any sort of hunting in, the red stag there are almost the size of elk, and it is quite an experience.

Fishing down there is going to be excellent.

#170370 - 03/30/09 07:57 PM Re: New Zealand: Input please [Re: benjammin]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
New Zealand is the one country on Earth I'd leave America for in a heartbeat.

If you value friendliness, spectacular terrain (mountains, beaches and desert), clean environment (we confidently drank unfiltered water out of a river on the South Island)and a laid-back lifestyle then you will adore New Zealand.

If you love sailing, you'll be delighted. If you love mountain climbing (Sir Edmund Hillary was New Zealand's most famous citizen, he honed his mountaineering skills on the South Island) you're in the right place. If you like daredevil adventures, the South Island, especially Queenstown, is your playground (they invented bungee jumping, jet boats and a variety of other activities).

From the subtropical beaches, volcanic landscapes and lush green rolling hills of the North Island to the rugged "Southern Alps" and fjords I felt New Zealand was heaven on Earth when I spent a month there a decade ago.

South Island cuisine is more British influenced than the North Island (where there is more of a Polynesian influence -- research the Maori). Loved the dairy and lamb. Couldn't find a decent salad (iceberg lettuce - ick).

Other than the lettuce, I have only great things to say about New Zealand. You are very, very fortunate if you have the opportunity to spend time there. Good luck!

#170388 - 03/31/09 08:41 AM Re: New Zealand: Input please [Re: Packman]
LED Offline
Veteran

Don't have any input but based on the replies so far I sure as hell wanna go there. Actually its been on my trip list for quite a while. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity you have.

#170391 - 03/31/09 11:37 AM Re: New Zealand: Input please [Re: benjammin]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Aha, the person who got my preferred screen name before I did!

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in New Zealand. While we were only there for two weeks, I can say that there are few places I can think of that offer so many different outdoor adventures packed into such a small place. Stunning scenery, good wine, good food, great tramping (what they call hiking), sea kayacking, fishing, sailing, hunting (most game has no hunting seasons, as all the big game animals are "invasive species"), climbing, etc. We seriously considered moving there we liked it so much!

People were friendly, dollar (US) was strong, beer was good. You'll have to learn to drive on the other side of the road, but we had no trouble circumnavigating the whole south island by car, and seeing a good bit of the north as well.

I don't know much about the aviation industry, but we encountered several helicopter pilots making a living shuttling tourists up onto the Fax and Franz Joseph Glaciers. No idea what kind of a living, but they seemed to enjoy it.

I'd jump at the chance to move there if I had a job offer!

#170392 - 03/31/09 12:55 PM Re: New Zealand: Input please [Re: Jesselp]
Packman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Southwest Coast, Florida
Ok, great. Much as I figured, so far. I knew the dollar exchange rate was good. I was particularly curious as to how Americans were viewed.

Benjammin, when you say Americans are a "novelty," I take it you mean there aren't very many of them in the area?

It looks like the sports have a great deal to offer down there. I'm a very outdoors kind of guy, so much of the adventuring sounds particularly appealing.

Thanks everyone, for the input. Keep it coming!

#170397 - 03/31/09 02:28 PM Re: New Zealand: Input please [Re: Packman]
MedB Offline

Given the nature of this forum, I will simply say this to a man moving to the land of kiwis...

... be single.

Enjoy your stay,

#170409 - 03/31/09 06:19 PM Re: New Zealand: Input please [Re: MedB]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We have, or had a forum member from NZ who is also active in the kayak association there. Their website has a excellent philosophy summed up as ' buy the very best equipment you can, but never decide to go out based solely on owning it.'

NZ is somewhat more reserved than it's more boisterous OZ brother, still relaxed and courteous.

#170413 - 03/31/09 07:43 PM Re: New Zealand: Input please [Re: Packman]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Have't been myself but my DD2 spent a month there last year. However two weeks were spent in a hosital in Christchurch having surgeries to cure an infection she picked up in Fiji. But her general impressions were highly favorable. The scenary is spectacular, the citizen's mostly pretty friendly and the hospital staff competent.

One interesting practice is that tourists often go to car sales held by private sellers, buy a used card to drive around the island then re-sell at the end of the stay. Actually cheaper than renting a car if you staying for a while. Their car was broken into, however, so petty crime does exist.

She did run into American ex-pats, one an ER doc, the other owned a tourist farm outside of CC.

If you go, don't forget to register with the US consulate or embassy closest to you. The ACS (American Citizens Services) bureau was very helpful during her hospital stay and even contacted the airline to try to arrange for more comfortable accomodations for the trip back to the states. The airline was not accommodating, however -- Air Fiji.

And, oh yes, lots of sheep...

#171445 - 04/16/09 04:06 PM Re: New Zealand: Input please [Re: Packman]
tonyb Offline
For me life is my beach
Stranger

Loc: Australia, Cairns
Giday mate, I might be of some help here, a little background first.

Kiwi born and left for Australia at 20 yrs of age. NewZealand was a fantastic place to grow up, the move to Australia for me was good (much warmer) smile

Much of what people have said here is spot on and you will have no problems getting on with the locals and remember just be yourself also chicks dig the acsent, it's got me why but they just do.

Another thing dont eat that Marmite crap it's discusting nothing like the real Vegimite, trick is to spread it on very thin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.