Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#165394 - 01/28/09 02:05 AM Photos taken last weekend while on a day hike
Sherpadog
Unregistered

A few photos taken last weekend while out on a day hike. I had wanted to post them previously but I forgot and it takes awhile to sort through the photos then write the narratives / descriptions for each of them....I hope you all enjoy them.

Some years back a young man fufiilled a dream. That dream was to live in a tent for months just like they did in the old days as much as possible. I lived that dream in a tent just upstream a few miles on this river and at the junction of a feeder creek for 9 months (it is now sadly, private property). Although it was extremely difficult at times, it was the best time in my life in a lot of ways. Today we do not visit this area very often, an when we do, it evokes very strong memories for me.
The haziness in the photo, particularily in the lower middle is the last remmants of fog that is being burned off from the morning sun.

The bluish green shimmer on the ice is actually a thin layer of ice. At one time I lived beside this lake just off the right of this photo.

Look real close at the hole in the rock. The faint dots are actually water droplets dripping down.

This photo was taken at an elevation of about 6000 feet. Notice the substantial lack of snow for this time of year.

This photo was taken in the same spot facing north and upriver. As you can see at the bottom of the photo, it is a ways up. Standing here on the very edge of an abutment, there is literally no more ground in front of your feet and is definitely not advised for the fainthearted.

This mountain water is safe to drink, the source is about 800 feet above.

Red rock outcropping. This unique mixture which has a clay like substance has been used for milleniums by The First Nations people of the area for a number of purposes such as decorating pottery, clothing and paint for ceremonial events.

#165395 - 01/28/09 02:07 AM Re: Photos taken last weekend while on a day hike [Re: ]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Part II
This area has some of the best scenery and view anywhere...bar none. As you face north, on the west side of the valley is the edge of the Pacifc Northwest rain forest. On east side is an open and almost desert like plateau. This particular photo was taken facing west overlooking the valley and as you can see, the ground directly below the camera is wide open and steep in comparison to the other side of the valley which is heavily forested in the lower elevations.

The views along here are nothing short of breathtaking. There are not enough words to describe the peacefulness and solitude of sitting here and gazing out over the valley and mountains.

As menttioned above, the east side of the valley is dry and desert like open grassland on plateau. It is remarkable the difference in terrain and ecosystem which is separated only by a river. This open grassland makes for very easy hiking. This terrain and grasslands area also supports a vast ecosystem not found anyplace else in the world.

If you look close at the crown of trees they are all white. This serves as a good example how diverse the climate is here. Where the photo was taken, the temperature was 7C (44 F) and the cliff top is not much higher then here . Also notice that a few of the trees that are red in colour have succumbed to the pine beedle epidemic.

Highest point of our hike. You can barely see the river below, in the middle of the photo.

The clouds opened just for a few moments and exposed this mountain peak which made for this great photo.

Another contrasting view of the open grasslands ecosystem of where we were hiking. Of all the terrain we hike, this is the type I like the best as you can see for miles all around. Almost all this land is public and some of it is used for open range cattle grazing.

This old steel cylinder (some type of barrel and bigger then a 45 gallon) out in the middle of nowhere would make a great improvised shelter. Hang a small tarp over one end and clear a spot for a small fire on the other end and you are set for the night.

This dried wood, pine resin and pine cones makes some of the best natural fire tinder there is.

We found this shovel and hoe exactly the way they are in the photo. These also were out in the middle of nowhere, however as I mentioned above, there is some cattle grazing in the area and these tools belong to someone, so of course we left them as is.

#165396 - 01/28/09 02:10 AM Re: Photos taken last weekend while on a day hike [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Beautiful places.

You do understand you are beginning to aggravate me though right?

RIP OBG

#165397 - 01/28/09 02:11 AM Re: Photos taken last weekend while on a day hike [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Now your just running up the score

RIP OBG

#165400 - 01/28/09 02:15 AM Re: Photos taken last weekend while on a day hike [Re: Desperado]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Beautiful places.

You do understand you are beginning to aggravate me though right?

Wait until you see the photos after this coming weekend's outing!!

#165429 - 01/28/09 07:25 AM Re: Photos taken last weekend while on a day hike [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Some of the photos you take are extremely good Sherpadog.
I can not tell how good your resolution is but your composition is very nice.
I really do hope you are getting a few of them printed and hung.
Even this strip of images has some that should be on a gallery or office wall or something, possibly as giclee.

I will resist the urge to flatter you by critiquing my favourites.
There is nothing worse than a photographer who has become vain from recieving too much praise.

#165444 - 01/28/09 12:07 PM Re: Photos taken last weekend while on a day hike [Re: scafool]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

I shoot the photos at 6 megapixels / 300 DPI / 3000 x 2000 pixels.

I have printed a few photos over the years and given them out as gifts. Other then that, I am just a amateur photographer who loves the outdoors...and content to leave it this way.

As far as flattering praise goes, I don't expect any nor have any other ulterior motives for posting these photos. I am fortunate to live in one the most beautiful areas of North America and I post these photos so that others can see and learn about the places and areas I visit.

#165474 - 01/28/09 03:11 PM Re: Photos taken last weekend while on a day hike [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Well whether you know it or not some of those shots are really, really well composed.
You have a good eye.

#165510 - 01/28/09 08:37 PM Re: Photos taken last weekend while on a day hike [Re: ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Wonderful Country--if i was not into canoe tripping so much the mountains would my next choice--no deserts please..

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 539 Guests and 129 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.