The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#158864 - 12/18/08 04:38 AM Folder as Backup to Fixed-blade
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
I'm looking for a folder as a backup to my main fixed-blade in my BOB, and as with everything else i like to get the most durable thing available.
With the intended purpose of acting in place of the main fixed-blade knife in the event the fixed-blade were lost/rendered useless, what folder would you recommend?
we'll leave price out of the list of considerations for the sake of discussion, but it should be a mass-produced knife, no customs.

to put it another way:
of those who EDC a knife(in general; not just on this site), the majority seem to carry a folder rather than a FB. so that's what we'd have if we were thrown into the thicket with just what's in our pockets.
what folding knife would you trust to hold up to demands if TSHTF?
what type of blade, lock, etc. would be best for this kind of (ab)use?
that's the kind of information i'm looking for, preferably from 1st hand experience, be it from controlled testing or real-world SHTF situation.
not necessary specific brand-models, but a general outline with p maybe a few prime examples.

Edited by Erik_B (12/18/08 05:23 AM)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#158878 - 12/18/08 06:32 AM Re: Folder as Backup to Fixed-blade [Re: ]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Plenty of options out there. Anything with a decent, high grade stainless blade and a sturdy lock. Almost any kind of lock will do as long as the workmanship is good. Personally, I'm not such a big fan of liner locks but YMMV.

I used to EDC a large SAK (the Rucksack model) for a long time. For a couple of years now I've switched to a waved Spyderco Endura, which I feel is a really good EDC/backup folder.

Much depends on whether size and weight is a consideration or whether you'd rather pick a bigger folder for heavier-duty tasks.

#158883 - 12/18/08 11:27 AM Re: Folder as Backup to Fixed-blade [Re: Erik_B]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Where do you draw the line between custom and production? Is a plain Sebenza custom or production? That would be one choice and the other is to buy an RSK Mk 1 with design mods by the owner of this site. I chose the RSK because I like the blade profile a lot and it locks up tight. I EDC a different lower profile folder with an axis lock.

#158884 - 12/18/08 12:47 PM Re: Folder as Backup to Fixed-blade [Re: Russ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I carry a Benchmade / Pardue 520, only because it was a gift. I love the knife, I just could not bring myself to part with that much cash if my money was being spent today. I even asked here on the forum about the differences between it and the RSK1, and Mr. Ritter answered directly for me. I can't seem to find it or I would link it for you. If my money was being spent for one folder (meaning same $$ for 520) it wold probably be for the RSK1 and the money left over for the RSK1 mini for my wife's purse.

Oops, I found it.

Edited by Desperado (12/18/08 12:48 PM)

RIP OBG

#158889 - 12/18/08 01:48 PM Re: Folder as Backup to Fixed-blade [Re: Desperado]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
There are so many good knives out there that would fit your bill. I'm biased toward Benchmade and a few others, and I like their Axis lock. I think pretty much anything a guy chooses from them (blue or black class) would suit him well as a backup knife in a tough situation.

With that said, the Ritter RSK1 gets good reviews whether in this forum or another. I've yet to hear an ill comment about the knife. I don;t own one only because I procrastinate each time I'm in the market..... and I'm partial to fixed blades anyway so I don;t buy too many folders.

#158895 - 12/18/08 02:10 PM Re: Folder as Backup to Fixed-blade [Re: Stretch]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I'm eventually going to go with a RSK1 myself.

Having a hard time convincing DW that I need it... Then again, I probably don't need it yet, but soon...

#158899 - 12/18/08 02:19 PM Re: Folder as Backup to Fixed-blade [Re: Erik_B]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Erik_B
of those who EDC a knife(in general; not just on this site), the majority seem to carry a folder rather than a FB. so that's what we'd have if we were thrown into the thicket with just what's in our pockets.
what folding knife would you trust to hold up to demands if TSHTF?

I EDC the Mini Doug Ritter RSK Mk1 - also known as the Rittergrip. I work in an office environment and have to balance the size and form factor with the realistic nature of the need. For example, a fixed blade is simply not acceptable in my work environment (just a fact - don't go nuts over that one). I have both and have carried both, but I find the mini to be much more pocket-friendly than the full size.

The other reality is that in the middle of a VERY large suburban area I simply won't be dropped in a thicket. Regardless, even when camping locally, a folder and a small saw (Silky) can take me a VERY long way.

When camping & hiking I carry the full size RSK Mk1 since I like how it handles much better. The larger handle fits nicely in my hand. I don't necessarily sense that the full size is any tougher than the mini though.

what type of blade, lock, etc. would be best for this kind of (ab)use?

First, let me say that carrying a "survival kit" my view is that it needs to be ultra small, easy to carry, and includes just the basics to get you through the 72 hours or so it might take for rescue. For more about that philosophy see outdoorsafe.com Under that situation, a good folder (RSK Mk1) is sufficient to supply me with firewood and to help me provide shelter.

Second, when outdoors, I don't bring just one tool. I'll ALWAYS have a saw and usually an axe with me. I simply don't abuse my knife. The thing that seems to get the most abuse is my hands. To deal with that in the last few years I've taken to bringing leather gloves along rather than dealing with the cuts, scrapes, & burns that come with playing outdoors.

To more directly answer your post: I prefer mid-length (4-5") thinnish drop point blades. There are some very nice locks out there. I really like the axis lock on the Mk1. I also hear good things about frame locks. I would avoid liner locks.

I also prefer a folder with a lanyard hole sized for paracord. When camping I ALWAYS fasten my folder to a belt loop with a fairly long paracord lanyard - sized so that if dropped the knife won't quite hit the ground. Its just a safety measure so I can't loose me precious Rittergrip.

preferably from 1st hand experience, be it from controlled testing or real-world SHTF situation.

I've carried the Rittergrips for quite a few years now, including the mini, full size, and fixed. I think I like the fixed blade the best of the three. It is the best camp knife I've owned. I camp a lot in all sorts of places & weather. They've done everything I expect of them and more. I don't abuse them. I don't use a folder as an axe, pry bar, or screwdriver - to me that would be foolish. Its not uncommon for me to use no tools when gathering firewood. If I can break it down to size - it goes into the fire. On longer trips I might saw up larger wood.

The good news is that through proper planning I've never been in a SHTF situation. I gear up to meet the needs of my activities. I carry a PLB in areas that might not have a cell phone signal. I carry map/compass/GPS in areas that are not vividly familiar to me. I've had fellow campers get real sick and I've had them get hurt bad enough to head to the hospital, but life & limb have never really been in danger.

Ken

#159005 - 12/18/08 10:59 PM Re: Folder as Backup to Fixed-blade [Re: KenK]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
thanks for the info. maybe i stated it wrong, but i''m not asking with the intent to purposely use a folder for heavy camp chores. i usually carry a hatchet or small hand-axe when camping as well(don't much care for saws, but that's just me).
this is for the hypothetical situation of say you've lost your pack(it went off a cliff, fell into a lake, was eaten by a bear, stolen by ninjas, whatever) and don't have your usual kit. you've got what's on your belt and in your pockets; it's a camping trip gone awry, and all you've got is your folder.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#159023 - 12/19/08 12:23 AM Re: Folder as Backup to Fixed-blade [Re: Erik_B]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Swiss Army Locksmith knife is pretty handy to have. Its certainly not the toughest but it has a remarkably effective main blade for its size. It is cheap at around $20 and has lots of other useful features such as a good little saw blade, tin opener, awl, screwdrivers etc (using these tools means you don't have to abuse the main blade for difficult jobs). Folks around me also tend not to get to excited when you pull a SAK out from your pocket. The SAK is also easy to sharpen.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000687...;pf_rd_i=507846

Where as my Kershaw mini cyclone ZDP-189 may make them slightly more excitable.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kaNUP5ATp9o

#159059 - 12/19/08 02:46 AM Re: Folder as Backup to Fixed-blade [Re: Tom_L]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I am with Tom_L and currently carry a waved Spyderco Endura 4, it has been a handy knife over the past 6 months but I have not really "abused it" so I cannot speak to it's "toughness"?

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 574 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.