Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#150277 - 09/28/08 01:05 AM Nothin to do with campfires or survival...
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
sad to read that Paul Newman has died. A GREAT actor, a fine race car driver, a humanitarian with few equals in this world and all around good guy. Had the distinct pleasure of meeting/speaking with him once at the Long Beach Grand Prix a couple of years ago.

A tremendous loss to our society.

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#150278 - 09/28/08 01:10 AM Re: Nothin to do with campfires or survival... [Re: JohnE]
JeffD Offline
enthusiast
Stranger

Loc: Eastern Ontario Canada
Yes, Paul Newman will be missed...I was saddened to hear of his death this morning, as were the rest of my family.

#150307 - 09/28/08 05:01 PM Re: Nothin to do with campfires or survival... [Re: JohnE]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
It is great to see that another person with so much money gave more than enough back to the community. If I only had a ton of money!

#150309 - 09/28/08 06:42 PM Re: Nothin to do with campfires or survival... [Re: ki4buc]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I saw a TV memorial for Paul Newman this morning that pointed out something interesting and maybe a bit relevant. The interviewer asked him what accounted for his success, he said in so many words it was luck - having good looks, an interest in acting etc, the rest was 'easy'. By the same token though, there are a whole lot of people who don't have the same luck in life, and by this he doesn't mean anything like a lack of preparedness: in particular he meant kids who get struck down with cancer, or MS, or other illnesses they have no control over. Those are in the path of the hurricane - they don't get any do overs in life. Which motivated Paul to start his first Hole in the Wall Gang camp, since extended to at least a dozen or so, all offering camp and outdoor experiences to sick and disabled kids, for free.

I can't untwist his whole ethic myself, but met Paul Newman briefly late in his life when he wanted to buy Carnation Farms to create Camp Korey, which was recently completed, kids are having great fun there now. I got the impression that the hard luck these kids had run into touched him somehow, and his response was as real as it is generous - get the kids out where they can "hike, fish and raise a little hell." Subtext, in as little time as they have left. He was a good man, he sure stomped the terra. I have in my mind a picture of Paul Newman surrounded by thousands of kids, welcoming him over to the other side now. Good on you Paul, rest in peace.

Edited by Lono (09/28/08 06:48 PM)

#150312 - 09/28/08 07:55 PM Re: Nothin to do with campfires or survival... [Re: Lono]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Some interesting facts about Mr. Newman.

His "Newman's Own" line of food products have raised over $250,000,000 and distributed it to various charities. All of the profits went to charity, he never took a dime.

His "Hole in the Wall Gang" camps have had over 115,000 children attend them. All at no cost to the kids or their parents.

Nominated for 10 Academy Awards, won 3, 1 for acting, 1 honorary and 1 for his charity/humanitarian work.

Oldest person to ever race at Daytona, in a 24 hour endurance race at the age of 81.

Won 4 SCCA National Championships.

Placed 2nd at the 24 hours of LeMans race in 1979.

Beat Jay Leno in an indoor gocart race around the NBC studios...;^) He later admitted to me in a very brief conversation that he "tripped the wire". He also participated in a great gag on the Leno show where he got a ride to the Long Beach Grand Prix in the back of a Champ Car, driven by Memo Gidley.

He and his wife, Joanne Woodward helped to revive the historic Westport Playhouse in his adopted hometown of Westport, CT.

Married to actress Joanne Woodward for over 50 years.

Best quote, " I've got steak at home, why go out for hamburger...?" when asked about the longevity of his marriage to Woodward.

A really, really, nice guy.

John E.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.