The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#147601 - 09/06/08 02:54 AM Time to say Hi
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Hi all,

I have been reading and lurking for several years. This last week I finally jumped into a couple of discussions so I thought I would take a moment and say hi.

I have learned quite a bit from the folks on this forum and it helped a lot this year when we had a wee bit of flooding throughout most of eastern Iowa. I live outside the 100 yr flood plain and had no flooding at my place but we had to deal with a lot of the secondary issues and I'll offer the following quick thoughts.

1 - Buy a generator - it is a good way to make sure you will not need one.
2 - Install a battery powered backup sump pump w/alarm - again pretty good way to make sure you won't need one and $400 installed beats the heck out of a $3000+ cleanup bill.
3- Big chain stores are frighteningly efficient - we had a water shortage for a bit and every big store had more bottled water on hand than we could use in less than 12 hrs (assuming you could pay for it). Same is true of generators, pumps, dehumidifiers, cleanup gear. Amazing.
4 - you can collect nearly 60 gallons of water of the roof of decent sized house in about 40 minutes during a good rain, if you work at it and have something to put it in smile
5 - it is much easier to collect about 9 gallons every 10 minutes from the sump pump and more dependable too.
6- not everyone can volunteer for the cleanup - some people have to keep working to keep the local economy running so the others can volunteer.
7 - Going on really really important business travel to somewhere with water while leaving the DW to deal with water restrictions is contra-indicated, especially if you complain about running out of hot water in the hotel shower. shocked

Probably should have passed some of this on a bit earlier but things have been a bit hectic and lurking is a hard habit to break.

-Eric

You are never beaten until you admit it. - - George S. Patton

#147603 - 09/06/08 03:12 AM Re: Time to say Hi [Re: Eric]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Welcome Eric, and thanks for the tips smile

FWIW Dehumidified water can be VERY dangerous to drink. Any water from a condenser for that matter... So be careful.

#147607 - 09/06/08 03:29 AM Re: Time to say Hi [Re: Eric]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Welcome to the fire, newguy! Glad you only had secondary issues to deal with. And yes, business travel seems to beckon disasters back home. frown

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#147615 - 09/06/08 05:03 AM Re: Time to say Hi [Re: Eric]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Welcome aboard, Eric!

#147654 - 09/06/08 04:03 PM Re: Time to say Hi [Re: Nicodemus]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Greetings and happy hunting here....

Those business trips some of you speak of aren't the only things that "cause trouble" back at home.....anything that goes wrong at home....usually does so while I'm at work and my honey is home alone with the kids......matter of fact.....we are both usually completely surprised when something happens when I am AT home! LOL

#147680 - 09/06/08 09:05 PM Re: Time to say Hi [Re: Eric]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Registered for two years, and you just now speak....

*looks at Eric*

We even got space for the odd around the fire. *laughs* Belated welcome.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#147704 - 09/07/08 12:36 AM Re: Time to say Hi [Re: ironraven]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Ironraven,

Odd would be one way to look at it. crazy Of course my take on things is a bit different, though I might be tempted to agree with you. I'll just say that my life has been, err.. um.. "interesting" (?) for quite some time and while I stumbled onto this group a while back (about a year or so before I registered) I was unable to invest the time and energy then to participate. Life is still "interesting" but I seem to have a better handle on it these days so I thought I would (finally) step up to the fire and see what I can contribute.

One way or another it ought to be interesting.

- Eric

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 218 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.