Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#146206 - 08/27/08 07:16 PM ok yall
mountainboy Offline

Loc: northeast alabama
how many think life back in say in the oldays was better even though it was a rough life .folks loved there neighbors,help who they could .never went to someone house when they didn t try to feed u ,or give a place to stay .now seems like folks talk to u through the door if they answer at all..i used to pic up corn , taters farms machines left behind ,always give some of it away to older neighbors.i dont know if it wouldnt be a bad idea for us to start over might be the 2nd chance we need to appreceate how good life can be . just my 2cents worth what do yall think .

oh yea if ive jump all around again im sorry .guess i dont know how to do any other way .may tell wife. an let her wright it for me .thats worked for 20 yrs pretty well.

#146208 - 08/27/08 07:17 PM Re: ok yall [Re: mountainboy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I am not sure those good old days ever existed.

#146211 - 08/27/08 07:19 PM Re: ok yall [Re: mountainboy]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I think people new more about their neighbors and were friendly in the past years. Now days with 'things' to help people do stuff washing machines, dryers, etc that are supposed to make more free time they just make more time to rush,work, etc... not what they were made for!!!

However, this is still the way in a lot of small towns in the US but it's changing rapidly. frown

#146216 - 08/27/08 07:31 PM Re: ok yall [Re: Todd W]
mountainboy Offline

Loc: northeast alabama
i live in small town in north east al .40yrs old when i was a young boy up till teenager .life was simple an we all helped each other in our comunnity.now ilive same place an i dont know alot of people in my town were i used to know every one .what happened .and im shure those days were better before my time.ive talked to several folks . around here seems like most poor familys are happest with life just as it is .i dont realy know if ( things )are so good .

#146232 - 08/27/08 08:54 PM Re: ok yall [Re: mountainboy]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
People always remember and wax nostalgic over the "The Good Ole Days". I think they tend to remember what was good, and forget about the bad stuff.

My mother once said, "Things were better when I was growing up. I remember when it cost a nickel to take the trolley downtown, we could go to the movies for a quarter, and we could get an ice cream after for a dime. Those were great times."

I asked her, "Did the Good Ole Days coincide with your brother's Polio?"

I'm not smarter than my mother, she's not at all selfish, and I'm certainly not as close to her brother as she is, but she was being nostalgic and not really weighing out the pros and cons in an honest manner.

The next time someone tells you about how great things were back then, just think to yourself about how some of the problems of that time have been solved and how new problems have emerged. Smile to them then and say, "It must have been great." Then later you can secretly plan to test them for Alzheimer's because they're obviously starting to forget things. LOL

And if you want to know your neighbors, go meet your neighbors.

Edited by Nicodemus (08/27/08 08:56 PM)

#146233 - 08/27/08 08:56 PM Re: ok yall [Re: dweste]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: dweste
I am not sure those good old days ever existed.

They probably said the same thing when automobiles were invented and people stopped staying local to 'hang out' with their neighbors.

Realistically it's the reason why you don't see much of your neighbors anymore. Cars, they are affordable to all and peoples lives have become modular... you go here for food, you go here for fun, you go here to take your boat, you go here to go sking, you go here to do this, etc... You don't stay home to do ANYTHING but sleep or watch TV anymore.

We haven't watched TV (shows not movies) in 2 months, and our new house we wont have satellite or cable by choice either.

Internet to do work, the rest of the time will be spent working on the house or doing something OUTSIDE like when I was growing up.

Even though I grew-up in the coming of the 'digital age' my parents did not let us get a nintendo, atari, etc, until YEARS after they came out. We spent our time outside building forts, playing with bb guns, bows and arrows, cap guns, etc.

Edited by ToddW (08/27/08 08:58 PM)

#146234 - 08/27/08 09:07 PM Re: ok yall [Re: Nicodemus]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My parents used to tell about walking downtown one night a week in order to share a nickle coke at the soda fountain (anyone here remember those?). Other than enjoying each others company, they did not call those the good old days, all they called them were the hard times with little money. They did like the part about not having to lock your house or car...

#146241 - 08/27/08 09:25 PM Re: ok yall [Re: ]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
I think you can also blame air conditioning as much as automobiles wink
That said, I'm one of the unfriendly people who prefer not to talk to others. meh.

#146242 - 08/27/08 09:26 PM Re: ok yall [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
Penn and Teller just did an episode of BS! on this same exact point, it was really good and brings up a lot of the same points ya'll are making.

http://www.sho.com/site/schedules/product_page.do?episodeid=130995&seriesid=134

If you have Showtime I recommend the show in general.

When I start talking about the good ol' days, all I mean is when I was in college 7 years ago or so, not paying rent (parents), working 20 hours a week if I worked, and partying my ass off.. not having bulging discs in my neck, no bills.. so yeah, it would be great to go back to the good ol' days, but I know that a lot of what we think of as the GO'D never existed.. what you really want is an idealistic dream you have of what life was.. do you really wanna work 80 hours a week on the farm to barely get by? Or are you saying you want the good days of when women were second class objects and people of color used different bathrooms and sat on the back of the bus, but all the white families were like on Leave it to Beaver?

Originally Posted By: ToddW

Internet to do work, the rest of the time will be spent working on the house or doing something OUTSIDE like when I was growing up.

Even though I grew-up in the coming of the 'digital age' my parents did not let us get a nintendo, atari, etc, until YEARS after they came out. We spent our time outside building forts, playing with bb guns, bows and arrows, cap guns, etc.

So you're doing what here exactly? This is work or you not using the internet?

I grew up building forts and playing outside, while playing on the computer and watching TV, they're not mutually exclusive. Now I'm an IT Manager who likes to go outside and play on the weekends.. I don't see the harm.

I think you missed my point. The point I was trying to make is TVs take over 'fun time outside' and you can do plenty w/out a TV.
Also, I haven't moved and I never said internet was for business 100% only, while I use the internet for entertainment 75% or more is for education and business.

-Todd

#146251 - 08/27/08 10:09 PM Re: ok yall [Re: Nishnabotna]
Fleetwing Offline
Stranger

Loc: Seattle
I miss all the kids in the neighborhood playing baseball all day all summer with no adults coaching practices and organizing game schedules. I miss everyone socializing after dinner in the summer from house to house on the front porches and not going in to watch TV until after dark. I miss being able to make fires out of real sticks and logs at Scout campouts and carrying a pocket knife without people thinking you are a terrorist or having to go through metal detectors to go to work.

I like cell phones when my car breaks down and better medical care and longer life expectancies. I like air conditioning in automobiles. I like stores being open on Sunday and after 9:00 PM. I like having more than three channels to choose from on TV and not having to watch them all sign off at midnight.

I miss the old days and I am kind of glad they are not still here, too. I wish I could pick and choose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 537 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.