Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#133725 - 05/26/08 02:38 PM Take time out
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
In the U.S. it is Memorial Day, the day we set aside to remember our fallen heroes. It is meant for those who died serving in times of war. I would like to extend my thanks to all who have given the ultimate honorable sacrifice in service to their country. I also extend this to those who have served as firefighters, police officers, EMTs and others in direct service to their nations and communities.

Please a moment to reflect.

Edited by MoBOB (05/26/08 02:40 PM)

#133727 - 05/26/08 02:44 PM Re: Take time out [Re: MoBOB]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

yes, I feel that on memorial day we only think about the army, navy and airforce, not the coast guard, who are a branch of the military and save us when we are drowning and cold and keeping us safe from drug runners and pirates, the firefighters, who protect us when we feel there is nothing we can do except sit and watch everything we know burn away; the police who keep our streets safe, for everyone, and the EMTs and Paramedics, who are the ones who are usually forgotten, but the ones who have saved the lives of many people we know.

Thank You!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#133729 - 05/26/08 03:03 PM Re: Take time out [Re: MoBOB]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I am not American, but we have fought alongside some of the soldiers from 10 mountain division, the 101st and the 82nd airborne while overseas. I made great friends with a lot of them. a couple of them didn't make it back and currently one of my best friends (U.S Marine) is fighting in Iraq.

Some of the worlds finest troops.

Even though we have a different date for what we call remembrance day here, we took a moment of silence this morning to remember some of our U.S and British friends who we worked with.

God bless

#133734 - 05/26/08 04:03 PM Re: Take time out [Re: climberslacker]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Hello Climberslacker,

During WWII, my father-in-law protected eastbound convoys to Iceland and then raided German weather stations in Greenland. (That's where my Potato Masher was captured!)

I've conducted operations in Haiti (gathering pre-invasion intel) and was assigned to the USCGC BEAR (attached to DesRon 22 attached to the USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT's Battle Group) during the Balkans War (1999).

The USCG is the nation's oldest continuous sea-going service. The USCG has a remarkable wartime history (highest percentage of casualties of every war up to Vietnam).

Do the research, I've seen more "action" than most DoD personnel during the time of my service (1977-1999). Semper Partus!!

The USMC is the brother service to the USCG since we are both the "redheaded stepchilden" of the USN. The Marines have sacrificed much. I honor the memories of all.

R.I.P. LCpl Roy M. Wheat, USMC, (1967-Quang Nam Province, Vietnam--Medal of Honor recipent (darn those Bouncing Betty's).

SEMPER FIDELIS!!

#133752 - 05/26/08 06:07 PM Re: Take time out [Re: wildman800]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Yes, if there happened to be a draft in say, 4-5 years, then I would probably run out and join the coast-guard, as I am a swimmer, and want to be a life-guard and emt, and i pilot, so it is kind of a melding of a lot of things I love...only if there was a draft tho!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#133756 - 05/26/08 11:03 PM Re: Take time out [Re: climberslacker]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I visited USCGC Katherine Walker today (WLM-552)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#133806 - 05/27/08 02:12 PM Re: Take time out [Re: NightHiker]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
A day late but, the thought should occur to us that there have been moments in our history when the future of our nation has been held in the hands of a small group of men with firearms in their hands. Without their actions, on a given day, our world would be a much different place.

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 499 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.