Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#131190 - 04/26/08 05:04 PM Photo Gallery Help
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I'm a relative neophyte when it comes to posting photos online. Can someone give me a little insight how to do it? Can I load photos to the Gallery right from a flash drive?

It did ask for an "http://" location for the photos. HUH?

Thanks

#131192 - 04/26/08 06:12 PM Re: Photo Gallery Help [Re: MoBOB]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Not that I am in any way an expert, but you need to find a place on-line to upload and store the pictures to. Check with your service provider to see if they give you space for this or a web page. If so, ask them how to upload your pictures.

Once you upload them, you can link to the web address on many BBS’s to show the picture. This is what the web site was asking for, the http:// location of the picture.

There are also web sites that allow you to store pictures on them. Some are pay sites & some are free. Other then knowing they are out there I can’t say much about these as my provider has space for me and I have no need to look else ware.

Edited by BobS (04/26/08 06:13 PM)

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#131196 - 04/26/08 07:19 PM Re: Photo Gallery Help [Re: BobS]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Thanks BobS...I'll give it a try.

I have a site that has a WBT that I had to create for my Master's degree. I will go to that site and see what I can come up with....

#131211 - 04/26/08 09:19 PM Re: Photo Gallery Help [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

I somwhat have it working...

I posted two pics with contents list....

#131216 - 04/26/08 10:19 PM Re: Photo Gallery Help [Re: MoBOB]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi MoBob,

Your Internet Service Provider ISP will normally give you a free Webspace to create your own personal internet website.

Your free web space could be 50 MB or higher, enough for hundreds of photos (not only photos but all types of files such as PDFs, word documents, HTML documents, Flash animations etc).

You will need an FTP client such as Smartftp available at http://www.smartftp.com/

This is just a File Transfer Program FTP application to upload your files to you ISPs web/FTP server.

The FTP program will need three pieces of information to make a connection to your ISPs FTP server.

1) Your FTP address - Something like ftp.yourISP.com
2) A Username - Provided by your ISP i.e. yourusername
3) A Password - Again provided by your ISP

You may need to contact your ISP tech support help desk to firstly activate your web space (if not already been completed) and for details of your ftp address and the Username and Password for the FTP connection.

Once a FTP connection is made you can then create a sub folder called for example 'photos' in the folder view of your FTP client.

You can also using internet explorer to do the same thing by just entering the ftp address into the address bar. A popup window should appear asking for your FTP Username and Password to allow you to login to your FTP server folders. You can again create a sub folder called 'Photos'. You can then open the new folder and drag and drop your photos from your flash drive into this folder. This is how you would upload your photo files to your FTP server.

The location of an individual photo would then be along the lines such as

http://www.yourISP.com/yourusername/photos/nameofphoto.jpg

You can check this by right clicking an individual photo file in your newly created 'photos' subfolder and looking at the properties of the photo file and taking a note of the specified URL.

or you could just sign up for an account at www.photobucket.com to upload your photos.

Also bear in mind that any photo uploaded to an external FTP server or photo hosting website is publically viewable. You may want to add some copyright information to your photos when they are being photoshopped.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/26/08 10:24 PM)

#131231 - 04/27/08 12:39 AM Re: Photo Gallery Help [Re: MoBOB]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
I suggest playing around a bit with the web services that provide image hosting. They are much simpler for occasional use for forum posting, etc.

You basically upload an image to any of these services, and they provide a link (i.e., “‘http://’ location”) to that image that you can put into your forum posts, email, etc.

#131242 - 04/27/08 03:05 AM Re: Photo Gallery Help [Re: JCWohlschlag]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
My service provider has the program to upload pictures to the net, I log in and click on upload pictures and the program starts for me. No need for me to go looking for a program to do it. It could not be easier to do.

Check with your service provider to see if they do the same thing.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#131247 - 04/27/08 12:45 PM Re: Photo Gallery Help [Re: BobS]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Thanks everyone....I created a Flickr account.

The photos are in the Photo Gallery with descriptions.

Thanks

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 220 Guests and 76 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.