Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#130233 - 04/15/08 10:23 PM Leatherman's warranty
REDDOG79 Offline

Loc: ENGLEWOOD ,TN
I have a Leatherman Charge xti with the removable pocketclip. I was at work a few weeks ago and the pocket clip got snagged on a toolbox and broke. I sent Leatherman an email regarding the clip wondering if it would be replaced. The response i recieved 3 weeks later was kind of surprising. I have to purchase a new one.

When i have broken or bent the pocket clips on my Kershaw knives they have been replaced without question. All i had to do was send an email and i received new pocket clips within a week. Benchmade was the same way when i broke the pocket clip on my RSK. I appreciate good tools and i do use them and if I break something due to abuse I won't even think about asking for a replacement. I will go buy a new one or order the part. Maybe I am wrong on this but that's just the way I feel.

I guess I will end up buying a new pocket clip for this while I am at it I might as well order 2 or 3. At 5$ a piece it's not the money but the principle.

Kirby

#130234 - 04/15/08 11:10 PM Re: Leatherman's warranty [Re: REDDOG79]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I believe that since the clip is not included with the tool (i.e. sold separately), it isn't covered by the warranty. Now if you broke the clip on one of their newer folding knives, I believe that would be fixed/replaced.

Also, I would try sending the broken clip and a letter through snail mail. You might get a better result if they have the clip in hand and can see it's broken. I find that e-mails don't always get the best result.

Finally, I forget if Leatherman has a warranty card or not, but I know that some companies won't help you at all if you haven't previously filled out the warranty card and sent it in.

Hopefully that helps. In my experience Leatherman is normally a pretty stand up company. When I became an Eagle scout Tim Leatherman sent me a letter of congratulations and a Wave multi-tool. smile

#130237 - 04/15/08 11:27 PM Re: Leatherman's warranty [Re: Paul810]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

how did you do that? Im working on mine right now...lucky!!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#130243 - 04/16/08 01:00 AM Re: Leatherman's warranty [Re: climberslacker]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I once broke a screwdriver blade or my old PST. My cover letter clearly stated I broke it though sheer abuse (using it as a pry bar) and requested that they charge me for the repair. They promptly repaired it and sent it back, not even charging me for postage. They also upgraded some of the other tools to their newer, improved design.

Jeff

#130248 - 04/16/08 01:44 AM Re: Leatherman's warranty [Re: Jeff_M]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I think Paul810 called it correctly. Add-ons like the clip, screwdriver bits for Wave/Charge/Surge, and so on, may not qualify for warranty replacement.

But for the tools themselves, I've been pleasantly surprised by Leatherman's warranty service. No warranty cards, no sales receipts, and no B.S. I even sent a friend's Wave that had been used very, very hard (bordering abuse if you ask me) and they sent a new one without protest. I do include a friendly note such as "you guys make the best tools ever, but something bad happened to mine ...."

I'm getting ready to send half the fleet for repairs/upgrades after ten years' use. When they come back, it will be like Christmas in July.

#130254 - 04/16/08 02:26 AM Re: Leatherman's warranty [Re: dougwalkabout]
EHCRain10 Offline

Loc: VA
I have to agree that a snail mail letter would most likely work better. But the clip wasn't included with the tool and more than likely isn't covered by the warranty.

#130255 - 04/16/08 02:28 AM Re: Leatherman's warranty [Re: REDDOG79]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Man, you are hard on pocket clips. How do you manage to break so many? I have never broken one...

#130256 - 04/16/08 02:41 AM Re: Leatherman's warranty [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Man, you are hard on pocket clips. How do you manage to break so many? I have never broken one...

I broke one when it got caught on my seat belt.

#130282 - 04/16/08 12:54 PM Re: Leatherman's warranty [Re: Paul810]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
When I got my TTi, I sent a complaint that the file was mis cut (basically, has almost no teeth) - they said "yeah, some early ones had that problem - send it back anytime, and we'll replace it

Still have not sent it back, but
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#130343 - 04/16/08 10:34 PM Re: Leatherman's warranty [Re: ]
REDDOG79 Offline

Loc: ENGLEWOOD ,TN
The clip came with the Leatherman when i bought it along with a bunch of bits and a holder and the case. I bought it at Sportsman's Warehouse so in my opinion the clip isn't an add on it was a part of what i bought.

As far as pocket clips I tend to have them catch on I beams, tool boxes when climbing around (I work construction). I have caught them on the arm of chairs and couches. While sitting in the couch the clip has punctured the materaial so when i get up it either rips my pocket or bends the clip. The benchmade clip caught on my son's doorknob and actually pulled the round metal plate off the doorknob before it broke.

I am hard on tools. I have broke 3/4" breaker bars and snapped my Klein tools 7/8" diameter sleaver bar in half. I buy quality tools because they stand up better than the cheap stuff. But when something breaks and there is a warranty I expect it to be upheld but as I said that's just my opinion. My father says I should stress test tools for companies/military if it won't break with me then it may not ever break.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 614 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.