Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#127172 - 03/13/08 01:13 AM How the hell ?
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
I just came into possesion of something VERY similar to this, http://dvice.com

Mine has a 3 inch blade but looks almost identical. Anyone know the technique to sharpen such a device? I figured it would be the same as any other knife but my most expensive diamond stones dont even phase it. Its already the sharpest knife I own, but I was told that they can hold an edge far superior to any metal blade, which can last 10 times longer. The blade is supposed to be almost as hard as diamond. You can obviously see the survival knife/BOB knife potential I am pondering. Who knows, it may be a complete piece of S$%& but it is worth the effort to test it out a bit. My concern is, once it does get dull, how the hell do I re-sharpen it?

I figured I would ask here in hopes that someone else may have one. I am afraid I may attempt something stupid and end up ruining it by accident.

thanks

#127174 - 03/13/08 01:44 AM Re: How the hell ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Bud,

What are you loaded or what? Send some cash my way, 1st with the $600 Kukri and now this?

This is probably something I would keep VERY low key. Pretty cool though.

I'll get back to you on this one.

Blitz

P.S.

Blades are cool

#127177 - 03/13/08 01:59 AM Re: How the hell ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Sweet mother of all that is shiney and pointy, a blade of artifical sapphire! Hmm, I'm thinking you won't have to worry about sharpening it for a long time. On the other hand, I wonder how brittle it is. I wouldn't try prying anything open with it, but that's just a s.wa.g. (scientific wild-ass guess).

Can a person buy a belt sander with diamond-powder grit? That would probably sharpen it. I'd do a search on the properties of sapphires and see what you can learn.

Okay, curiosity got the better of me and I did some research:
Synthetic sapphire crystals can be grown in cylindrical crystal boules of large size, up to many inches in diameter. Pure sapphire boules can be sliced into wafers and polished to form transparent crystal slices. Such slices are used for high quality watch crystals, as the material's exceptional hardness makes the face resistant to scratching. Since sapphire ranks a 9 on the Mohs Scale, owners of such watches should still be careful to avoid exposure to diamond jewelry, and should avoid striking their watches against artificial stone and simulated stone surfaces. Such surfaces often contain materials including silicon carbide, which, like diamond, are harder than sapphire and thus capable of causing scratches.

So, a silicon carbide stone should do the trick...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#127178 - 03/13/08 02:04 AM Re: How the hell ? [Re: Blast]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Blast
Sweet mother of all that is shiney and pointy, a blade of artifical sapphire! Hmm, I'm thinking you won't have to worry about sharpening it for a long time. On the other hand, I wonder how brittle it is. I wouldn't try prying anything open with it, but that's just a s.wa.g. (scientific wild-ass guess).

Can a person buy a belt sander with diamond-powder grit? That would probably sharpen it. I'd do a search on the properties of sapphires and see what you can learn.

Okay, curiosity got the better of me and I did some research:
Synthetic sapphire crystals can be grown in cylindrical crystal boules of large size, up to many inches in diameter. Pure sapphire boules can be sliced into wafers and polished to form transparent crystal slices. Such slices are used for high quality watch crystals, as the material's exceptional hardness makes the face resistant to scratching. Since sapphire ranks a 9 on the Mohs Scale, owners of such watches should still be careful to avoid exposure to diamond jewelry, and should avoid striking their watches against artificial stone and simulated stone surfaces. Such surfaces often contain materials including silicon carbide, which, like diamond, are harder than sapphire and thus capable of causing scratches.

-Blast

Exactly what I was thinking!! crazy whistle

#127182 - 03/13/08 02:35 AM Re: How the hell ? [Re: Blitz]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Even though diamond sharpeners will sharpen it. The difference in hardness between that blade and blades. Means that the sharpening process will take a long, long, long time. The amount of material worn away will be very small.

Did I happen to mention that any change will take a lot of time and effort.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#127187 - 03/13/08 03:07 AM Re: How the hell ? [Re: Blast]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
Originally Posted By: Blitz

What are you loaded or what? Send some cash my way, 1st with the $600 Kukri and now this?

Blades are cool

Actually traded it for 4 old 4x4 rims that a buddy wanted that were kicking around in my garage. I have no idea where he got the knife but one of the benifits of being in the Army is constant traveling. You would be surprized at the things I have picked up while abroad. I had no idea it was very expensive, I tried to look it up online but cant find a price. the rims cost me a few hundred bucks used 5 years ago and I dont even own the rig that went with them anymore.

Blades are cool. I am a big collector of knives, swords and other medievil and exotic weapons. This knife would have wound up in the collection but the allure of a knife that is never supposed to lose its edge is a piece of gear worth considering for its survival properties if nothing else.

Originally Posted By: Blast

-Blast

Hey guy, thanks for the info. The silicon carbide set I have are so smooth that I never considered them when playing around. Mine are finishing stones so they most likly wont bite into the blade very well. I will need to find a rougher set. Thanks again

#127193 - 03/13/08 05:36 AM Re: How the hell ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I used to have a Kyocera ceramic kitchen knife. Likely not as hard as that but close I'd wager. Kyocera only recommended one method of sharpening...send it in to Kyocera.

The issue isn't just that the stone needs to be harder than the blade...if the stone is too coarse, you can easily chip the blade badly. Finishing stones should be good but I'd expect to need to put a ton of elbow grease in.

FYI. I know how easy it was to chip because my wife used it ONCE and it was jagged as a saw blade just from her banging it around in the sink with some dirty dishes to wash it off. Kyocera wouldn't sharpen it for free because it had been mistreated.

#127196 - 03/13/08 07:56 AM Re: How the hell ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Very, very cool! How thick is the blade on that and what kind of bevel angle does it have? I don't think I'd even want to get this near my arm to do a shave test.

#127197 - 03/13/08 09:41 AM Re: How the hell ? [Re: AROTC]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
What, did you pick that up from the Superman cave? Ky-el, here in our midst!

(no idea how to sharpen it)

#127221 - 03/13/08 04:28 PM Re: How the hell ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
More pictures of the knife.

Turns out they are made by some guy in Russia.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 544 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.