Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#114197 - 11/30/07 04:45 AM WHO report cancer rate among nightshift workers
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

The WHO(World Health Organization)has linked night shift work to the rise in cancer rate. The study is published in Lancet journal of Oncology. I want to share this interesting bit of news with everyone. I already aware of this issue long before the WHO release its official news report. I think the report is much to late to do any good to the public.

Night shift work suppress the body immune system to respond to any carcinogens. Consequently, carcinogens trigger cancer among nigh shift workers. Prostate cancer rate among men rose sky high in night shift hours.

http://www.thestar.com/living/Health/article/281088

#114205 - 11/30/07 05:43 AM Re: WHO report cancer rate among nightshift workers [Re: picard120]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
This is why I eat onions, green leafy vegetables (includes Brockely), cranberry juice, and 2 almonds per day.

onions: cleans the blood of junk
green leafy vegetables: creates anti-radicals
cranberry juice: prevents urethritis
2 unsalted almonds per day: per Edgar Cayce-will prevent most cancers

It seems to be working for me. The only problem I have had of late was when I had Iron poor blood because it had become Lead in my butt!!

#114221 - 11/30/07 12:38 PM Re: WHO report cancer rate among nightshift workers [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I saw that also, and have my doubts. Having worked lots of graveyard shifts for about 35 years, along with a lot of co-workers, I am not aware of even one case of cancer. I suspect that their study may have included lots of folks who worked in areas with "stuff" that might contribute to cancer. But the study does sound like a good reason for unions to fight for a higher shift differential pay for graveyard workers...

#114222 - 11/30/07 12:47 PM Re: WHO report cancer rate among nightshift workers [Re: picard120]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Do you think my boss will buy it if I call in sick with cancer tonight? grin

#114262 - 11/30/07 04:09 PM Re: WHO report cancer rate among nightshift worker [Re: picard120]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Day shift can cause cancer too if you don’t wear sunscreen. confused Honestly, pretty much everything can cause cancer. Going to the doctor and getting X-rayed to look for cancer can cause cancer. A healthy diet and exercise can cause cancer, probably just as much as the rest of the crap that’s been thrown out there.

#114280 - 11/30/07 05:31 PM Re: WHO report cancer rate among nightshift workers [Re: OldBaldGuy]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I saw that also, and have my doubts. Having worked lots of graveyard shifts for about 35 years, along with a lot of co-workers, I am not aware of even one case of cancer. I suspect that their study may have included lots of folks who worked in areas with "stuff" that might contribute to cancer. But the study does sound like a good reason for unions to fight for a higher shift differential pay for graveyard workers...

your workers are lucky not having any cancers. Other workers, however, do have cancer according to the study. The study encompass wide range of industries.

#114323 - 11/30/07 11:41 PM Re: WHO report cancer rate among nightshift workers [Re: picard120]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I can't vouch for any validity and I haven;t seen evidence or lack of it, BUT, it sounds plausible....if nothing more than the imbalance the body must adjust to when working night shifts.

#114342 - 12/01/07 01:44 AM Re: WHO report cancer rate among nightshift workers [Re: Stretch]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
"Because these studies mostly focused on nurses and airline crews, bigger studies in different populations are needed to confirm or disprove the findings."

That is the most important line in that linked article and likely directly from the paper. You can find a paper that says all sorts of stuff. Until it is confirmed over and over, I wouldn't put much thought to it...maybe unless a person has a family history of breast cancer.

#114367 - 12/01/07 04:20 AM Re: WHO report cancer rate among nightshift worker [Re: picard120]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I read the nutshell version. It sounds like the completely ignored that people who work graveyard are more likely to smoke, drink, eat garbage, drive lousy cars with factory installed exhaust leaks (that's ok, the driver's window is often missing), and engage in other risk taking activities.

You could make the argument that graveyard might be tied to suicide rates- I've worked it, and the only happy, perky people I ever dealt with were either begging for a freak industrial accident, had participated with brain transplant experiments with squirrels, and/or were on something. Everybody else was depressed.

Long and short version- if it doesn't give you cancer, it will give you high blood pressure or potentially dangerous colon blockage. I think people need to grow up and accept that they are mortal.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#114470 - 12/02/07 01:26 AM Re: WHO report cancer rate among nightshift worker [Re: picard120]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Anyone can come up with a study that shows anything. It's just a matter of looking at some areas, ignoring others, and playing with statistics.

It's not exactly like the WHO isn't biased to begin with, anyway...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 544 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.