Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#105833 - 09/16/07 11:55 AM Right at Your Door
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Here's a creepy idea for a movie...

It somewhat relates the some of the forum topics discussed here.

A few times we've discussed plans for getting back together with loved ones in the event of an emergency, one in which we're initially seperated, but what if...

Right at Your Door

Edited by Nicodemus (09/16/07 12:06 PM)

#105836 - 09/16/07 01:24 PM Re: Right at Your Door [Re: Nicodemus]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, doesn't seem too realistic to me. Then again, I take my marriage more seriously than the mainstream seems to. There's no way I would leave my wife at the door. Whatever we face in life, we face it together.

If this sort of action seems like a real dilemma to some people, then I'd say it is a fair indictment of what is wrong with our society in terms of how families are portrayed. For me, it is a no-brainer decision. I would be more than happy to give up any longevity in order to spend what time I do have with the one I love more than any other. Isn't that the way it is supposed to be?

There comes a point where survival loses it's value. This is a good example of where that line is. I suppose if kids were involved then there might be some consideration of risk and sacrifice, but I believe if that were the case in our household, my wife would be aware of that and just as unwilling to risk their welfare as I would.

Our marriage is based on the premise that nothing in this world comes between us. If it were me on the outside of the plastic, and I knew I was doomed, I would still go home, but I would not insist on being let in the house, and if things got really bad, I would want to leave so as to save her some of the pain of my suffering, unless she'd be willing to go through that with me to the end. I expect she would do the same if it were her on the outside, but if she felt she needed me bad enough to warrant my exposure, I wouldn't hesitate. That door would be wide open the moment she says she needs me. Heck, I might just open it anyways soon as I see her coming. One thing being in Baghdad taught me; a moment with her is worth far more than a lifetime of solitude.

We've been together 19 years. It is a good start...

#105837 - 09/16/07 01:35 PM Re: Right at Your Door [Re: benjammin]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Nice "From The Heart" reply Benjammin.

Well said.

Mike

#105847 - 09/16/07 02:53 PM Re: Right at Your Door [Re: SwampDonkey]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
If I were the one caught out in it, I don't think I'd go home and give my wife the option of letting me in, only to suffer the same fate. Hopefully I'd have the resolve to stick with my decision.

On the other hand, I would let my wife in if she were caught in it and returned home unless there were children in the home (as you mentioned being a possibility). I would hope in such a case she'd think of the children, but in a panic logical thought can go right out the window. A drowning person can take others down with them.

I'm also wondering if there's some type of middle ground. Perhaps a section of the house could be partitioned off until all of the options can be assessed.

#105864 - 09/16/07 05:53 PM Re: Right at Your Door [Re: Nicodemus]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Looks like an interesting movie...I'd like to see it.

#105882 - 09/16/07 07:15 PM Re: Right at Your Door [Re: Nicodemus]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

This independent movie was first shown at the 2006 Sundance Film festival and has since been purchased by another production company hence it's limited release to some theatres. The movie has received some fairly good reviews and I will be watching either it at the theatre or on DVD.

Wikipedia has a page regarding this movie. There are plenty of spoilers on this page as it goes through in heavy detail, the plot and scenes of the movie...you have been warned.

#105928 - 09/17/07 01:27 AM Re: Right at Your Door [Re: ]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
I have to agree with the comments in this post.

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#105949 - 09/17/07 04:02 AM Re: Right at Your Door [Re: Nicodemus]
LED Offline
Veteran

I saw it about a month ago. Some realism mixed with lots of "un"-realism. Just my opinion, but it was an intersting story idea wasted on a so-so film.

#105966 - 09/17/07 12:56 PM Re: Right at Your Door [Re: LED]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I take my marriage more seriously than the mainstream seems to. There's no way I would leave my wife at the door. Whatever we face in life, we face it together.

That's exactly what I told my wife when we saw the trailer almost a year ago. There's no way I'm refusing to let her in the house.

I'm going to see this movie, but my expectations are fairly low.

#105972 - 09/17/07 01:14 PM Re: Right at Your Door [Re: benjammin]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: benjammin
I take my marriage more seriously than the mainstream seems to. There's no way I would leave my wife at the door. Whatever we face in life, we face it together.

Amen to that!

"Sorry honey, I just finished sealing up the front door and you know how I hate to waste duct tape..."

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 270 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.