The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#102909 - 08/18/07 05:52 PM self defense
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I'm with you guys on having all the right gear, knowing how to use it & being healthy (mentally & physically)enough to put the gear & the know-how to use. But does anyone ever think about being able to defend yourself & loved ones physically? I mean in an unarmed fight, IMO every man should be able to "handle" himself. This post is not about civil unrest or the shtf. It's more about always being ready (prepared) for what ever life may bring. Hopefully like my various kits & gear, I will never have to use the things I've picked up. And just like my kits & gear, I sleep better knowing that I can protect myself & loved ones if the need ever arises. I think being able to fight is part of survival & preparedness. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is this the wrong site to post this sort of thing?

#102911 - 08/18/07 06:42 PM Re: self defense [Re: Themalemutekid]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
When you get my age it's:
308=long range.
12 Gauge mid range.
45 acp short range..

end of test?

#102915 - 08/18/07 06:55 PM Re: self defense [Re: Themalemutekid]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
In my opinion, a huge part of "self defense" is being aware of your surroundings at all times, and avoiding those situations that will force you into actually defending yourself or your family. Sure, somethings bad things just happen, but many people seem to walk blindly into trouble...

#102921 - 08/18/07 07:15 PM Re: self defense [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I would have to go with OBG on this. Situational awareness in most routines is going to be the best method of self defense. Channing (MacGyvering for weapons instead of tools, after Jackie Chan's use of non-standard implements in movie melee) is a good example of applying a little street skills type fighting and situational awareness, but really, we've been fighting each other with sticks and stones for a long time. It takes extraordinary skills and training for most unarmed fighters to take on anyone already armed with a modicum of how to use the weapon at hand. A good knife in an average fighter's hand is something to be respected, even by another knife wielder. There's a number of times I can imagine where a good fighting blade would be preferable over a sidearm.

However, the best way of surviving a confrontation is to avoid it in the first place.

#102923 - 08/18/07 07:36 PM Re: self defense [Re: Themalemutekid]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
I agree. And I think this is the correct site to post it.

#102946 - 08/19/07 03:18 AM Re: self defense [Re: frostbite]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Situational awareness probably works well 95-98% of the time.

But walking into a dark building from blinding sunlight, or into a mini-mart that has reflective film on the windows can still put you into a poor or bad situation.

Knowing some self-defense moves always seems better to me than not knowing ANY self-defense moves.

Your legs are longer and stronger than his knife arm. Fold his knee the wrong way and his focus will change dramatically.

Sue

#102948 - 08/19/07 03:47 AM Re: self defense [Re: frostbite]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Self-defense is a very big part of being equipped to survive. Although my campus, like many, doesn't allow the possession of firearms on campus, I'm working on getting my concealed carry permit. So I will be able to carry in places where I feel the threat is great enough to justify carrying.

After that I think mace or another less lethal weapon is a good choice. Even (maybe especially) if you are carrying a sidearm, less lethal options should be considered. There are situations which don't call for deadly force, but can't be resolved peacefully.

Finally, if you aren't taking a martial arts, I think one of the best sources for unarmed combat skills is Colonel Rex Applegate's book Kill or Get Killed. Kill or Get Killed is availible online in PDF for free here . It's fairly old (1943), but it was written from his experiance training commandos in World War II. He doesn't teach very many complicated moves (a few of the throws are), just brutally effective, simple techniques for destroying an attacker. Its not a substitute for taking a martial art, but it does show you concepts that can be effective with very little training.

And like a couple people have already said, the base layer of any defense is awareness. I think its also one of the hardest skills to develop. I try very hard to stay aware of my surroundings, but I still find myself losing focus or drifting off into my own thoughts. Its something that has to be constantly practiced.

#103001 - 08/19/07 05:23 PM Re: self defense [Re: NightHiker]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Avoidance is the best policy. Being aware of where you are and who's around you is good too. Fighting should be last on the list, but when push comes to shove & all else has failed a person should know how to fight. Just like having car or life insurance, knowing how to fight gives you peace of mind. We rarely have to use our insurance but when we do, boy it sure comes in handy. That's how I look at it.

#103023 - 08/19/07 10:43 PM Re: self defense [Re: NightHiker]
JohnnyUpton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: NightHiker

I agree. IMHO, hand to hand fighting is similar to being able to start a fire using a hand drill: I usually use my lighter, if that fails I have a ferro rod, as a last resort I can always fall back on a friction method because it's a skill I have developed & maintain.

In a true confrontational survival situation my perferred options are 1) avoid, 2) firearm, 3) blade, 4) other weapon, 5) H2H.

Note- avoidance is a pretty broad tactic, it covers pretty much everything from situational awareness, being a "hard target", bluffing, talking your way out of a confrontation, etc.

I'd swapp 3 & 4. But other than that, I agree with your list.

#103027 - 08/19/07 11:29 PM Awareness? [Re: Themalemutekid]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Awareness is the biggest part of self-defense. Everyone know's that and repeatedly says it. Its sensible, you can't avoid or respond to an attack you don't know is coming. But how do you acheive awareness? I don't think its enough to say, "Ok, I'm going to start being more aware." Does anyone have any techniques or exercises for becoming more aware? Maybe games you can play by yourself or with friends to notice more and do it with less concious effort?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 263 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.