Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#95221 - 05/21/07 10:43 PM Good online US source for Garmin sent to Europe??
Luca Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi all,

For my trip to Spain I would like to take a Garmin 60 csx or cx along.

Which of the 2 would you guys prefer?

Could you point me in the direction of a trustworthy US online dealer. I know they don't have the EU-basemap but I would rather spend the 150 EUR price difference on some nice cava. cool

Thanks!

Luca

Edited by Luca (05/21/07 10:44 PM)

#95223 - 05/21/07 11:30 PM Re: Good online US source for Garmin sent to Europ [Re: Luca]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Luca,

When importing from the USA, I tend to use Amazon.com

Garmin GPSMap 60CSx Handheld GPS Navigator is available at Amazon for $353.00 or 262.154 EUR excluding international postage and local taxes of course. Available at,

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMap-60CS...=A23M3KL3V61UGY

According to specifications it doesn't mention whether it is EGNOS capable for improved DGPS accuracy. But it should be, as the much cheaper Garmin eTrex does. As for the preferences between the 2 GPS's you have mentioned, I would actually stick with the cheaper eTrex, purely because it is simpler and has greater battery life. Although the 60CSx is a powerful GPS system electronic compass, barometer with a rolling map display capabilities, I still prefer paper maps and a simple Silva Compass such as the Ranger 3 or the Expedition 4. I wouldn't like to rely on just an electronic navigational means only. The eTrex Camo has some other built in functions such as a fishing time calculator. Although if you drop it you might not be able to find it again wink

Edit - With Shipping, Total cost comes to $480 dollars, very steep shipping costs!! You may want to look elsewhere on the amazon.com website for a better featured merchant deal. i.e pay slightly more but a whole lot less shipping.

You might want to check out MYRON GLOBAL ($359.75 + $30-40 shipping) featured seller on amazon.com

Edited by bentirran (05/22/07 01:41 AM)

#95287 - 05/22/07 08:33 PM Re: Good online US source for Garmin sent to Europe?? [Re: Luca]
Luca Offline

Loc: Belgium
Thanks Benttiran,

Amazon.com won't ship such items to EU these days. Only books and DVD's are allowed.

I did check out Myronglobal (he's an Ebay-seller as well).

Does the Etrex also have the Sirf III chipset?

The main reason or me to go with the 60CSX is the fact that it's both a nice handheld for wandernig around on foot (waterproof, small size, good reception in valleys and under foliage) and a routing device for in car use.

Due to Garmin's crazy EU pricing, I'mm pondering to take the step/risk and order in the US for half the price. That's shipping included. (I'll try and sneak it passed customs to avoid VAT).

Luca

#95772 - 05/27/07 05:54 PM Re: Good online US source for Garmin sent to Europe?? [Re: Luca]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
The difference between the csx and the cx is that the former has a barometer and electronic compass. I bought the model without those.

My main reason is that I will always have a separate magnetic compass anyway, along with a map as backup, so I don't feel I need another one built into the GPS. I also have both compass and barometer in my watch. To be honest I don't really trust electronic compasses anyway (I don't know what the GPS one is like).

I gather the barometer helps give a more accurate altitude than GPS alone, but that's never seemed important to me. I guess if you need it, you know you need it. In the UK once you know your location you can pretty much get your altitude from the map.

So I didn't feel I would get much benefit from the extra sensors. I don't like paying for things I don't need, and the difference in price is about £40 in the UK, and these things aren't cheap to begin with. (You can buy a lot of beer for £40.)

The other thing you have to watch is battery life. The extra sensors take electric power, and I don't think you can turn them off when you don't need them. According to the website we're talking about the difference between 30 hours and 20 hours.

Obviously your milage may vary. There's always the thought that having the extra features could one day save your life. However, maybe that's just paranoia making you spend more money. I've had the Garmin 60cx for about a year and don't regret getting the cheaper model.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 271 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.