Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#94367 - 05/11/07 06:07 AM My present, your future?......
Ponce Offline

Loc: In the woods of Oregon.
This may sound funny to you but I just love being alone and with no one around me and when I want to talk to someone then all that I have to do is to get on line and do what I am doing now.

After thinking about it for a few seconds I decided that that problably will be what the future will be like, everyone living in their own little world that will give them what they need or want without any need of going anywhere.

A interactive wall pannel will make you feel like if you are right there in what you are viewing in your super monitor, you will be able to put on a body jumper with special gloves that will let you interact with the person that you are looking at and the same that person with you.

You could be looking at a forest and feel the wind and smell the pines trees and yet you are right in your private space, if you are an inventor you can choose right there in your monitor all the pieces that you would need in order to crate something new and then test it right away.

Even a person with no education could be the giggest scientist in the world just by asking "what would happen if" or "what would make it smaller" and so on......everything that man knows would be right there at your fingertips, as is now but at a higher level.

And then my spelling and my English would be always correct with no mistakes......we can only drean and by dreaming make it into realytie.

Many times I am asked if I am ever lonly....I might be alone but never lonly..... you see, I am always with my best friend....me.

"To be ready is not"... Ponce

#94371 - 05/11/07 11:32 AM Re: My present, your future?...... [Re: Ponce]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I well understand what you mean, and I agree with you. I have to have a large, powerful daquirie in my hand in order to survive Christmas Shopping because of the number of people around me.

#94377 - 05/11/07 01:21 PM Re: My present, your future?...... [Re: Ponce]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Don't you know that you can go blind??? grin grin grin

#94383 - 05/11/07 01:42 PM Re: My present, your future?...... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Isn't that the point.

Actually, I can envisage a day when we slip on the visor, fire up the virtual network,and take a virtual hike through the virtual forest hunting for the virtual deer. Then the pop-up will alert us to incoming traffic from our virtual manager telling us that our virtual report is virtually due, and we need to get back to our virtual work.

Somehow, I don't see a whole lot of virtue in this scenario, do you?

#94385 - 05/11/07 01:53 PM Re: My present, your future?...... [Re: Ponce]
BlackSwan Offline

Ponce, count me among the misanthropes also.

But your vision of the future gives me the shivers.

I think a lot of the social pathology we see today stems from our disconnectedness from nature and our nature.

When I see a teenager frantically text-messaging while walking, I do not see a fufilled human, I see someone frantically trying to fill a social hunger with empty social calories, and not succeeding.

Where is Lao Tzu when ya need him? laugh

#94392 - 05/11/07 03:24 PM Re: My present, your future?...... [Re: BlackSwan]
Ponce Offline

You must remember that the only real world that there is is the one in your own mind, the reason for this is that each of us interpret what we see or hear in a different way.

My problem is that I can also feel people and what is going on and I don't like it......here in the forest I have more fun sitting in my back yard and looking at the trees than sitting infront of my 50" monitor but.....I am still human.

You must find the right place to fit in in order to be happy and in my case is here.....away from people and in a forest.

Many people asked me if I am "rich" in many way I am rich and the reason for that is not in what I have but in what I don't have and that's BILLSSSSSSSS, every thing that I own I do own in full (or maybe I should say me and the tax man?)and also because I don't need a lot to live on.....it cost me nothing to take a walk in the woods (I am always on vacation) and people are paying hundreds of dollars to come here on vacation every year......

#94408 - 05/11/07 05:48 PM Re: My present, your future?...... [Re: Ponce]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

I think a bunch of you need to go see the Doctor whistle wink

#94418 - 05/11/07 06:50 PM Re: My present, your future?...... [Re: big_al]
Ponce Offline

Hahahahahaahah Big Al, before you can live or relate with others you first have to do it with yourself...... I have dealt with people in high government and people in the streets and I still like being by myself best.

#94444 - 05/11/07 11:52 PM Re: My present, your future?...... [Re: Ponce]
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Ponce:

Sounds good to me as I also prefer to live alone, but I don't think I want the interactive wall panels etc. that you have described. Have you read the book Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury? In this book he describes the very wall panels you mention along with another frightening reality of the future. If you have not read it there is an on-line synopsis here http://www.bookrags.com/notes/451/. I am not saying this is what you are recommending, but I can't help wonder if this isn't where we are heading with a certain amount of "canned social networking." A good friend of mine is a college professor and he speaks of todays college kids as having laptops, cellphones, PDA's iPODS then pursue an altogether different agenda and cannot even pass his class. Then they have the nerve to mention this to Mom and Dad, or whomever and they protest the grade and make my friend feel like it is his fault and not theirs. Where is the responsibility in this, I ask? Again, I am not saying you are wrong, but I hope our society never comes to any of this reality, or future.

On another note, it is amazing how many people pay big $$$ to have an "outdoor" experience, but somehow their fun sounds hollow to me. As for me, I am happy to be alone and go about life alone because I am always the skeptic, but with some Luddite thrown in for good measure. After this I will go for a walk in the canyon. smile smile

Take care,
Stargazer

#94454 - 05/12/07 01:57 AM Re: My present, your future?...... [Re: stargazer]
Ponce Offline

Stargazer...... maybe that's where the Idea came to me because I did read that book years ago, it was probably lying in wait in my subconsious or superconsious waiting to wake up.

I just came back from my nighly walk in the forest and it was great, it was cool but not cold with the birds singing and a gentle breeze blowing the branches of the trees. This is the life that I always wanted and it is now the one that I have.

Where it takes someone many years of hard work to be where I am at at it only took me six years.....back in 92 I came up with "The Squeezable" (someone called it the Pet Rock of the 90's) that's a balloon with powder rubber inside (from recycled tires) which is then tied in a knot and the end cut off and is nothing more than a hand stress ball, I was the first one to come out with it and I gave myself 10-12 years to make X ammount of money......I made it in six and retired.

Now even if I have everything that I always wanted, or need, for what is to come to me all this is only a loan and not really mine. "To become attached to what you have is to become a slave of the same".....Ponce.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 538 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.