Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#90366 - 04/04/07 03:52 PM Suggestions for gadgets/toys wanted
NIM Offline

Hello everyone,

I have a strange problem. I have $400 US that I can spend and I have no idea what to buy! Seriously, this doesn't happen often...ok, ever.

I can spend $400 on toys, but I'm so excited I can't decide and I don't want to blow the money (blow by my definition). I'm leaning on buying a nukalert (perhaps, although I already have a Geiger counter and complete dosimeter set with recharger) or maybe a cool gadget like the loca8tr (http://www.loc8tor.com/introducing-loc8tor.asp -I have no connection to them).

I'm looking for a sturdy, large titanium pot (the larger sizes I've seen are too flimsy or non-stick coated). Who coats titanium? Really? Even the manufacturer says the coated ones should not be used over a fire! Silly people.</rant mode off>

Perhaps some Hoods Woods videos. I've a serious bent toward survival gear.

Ok, what would you guys buy if you had some cash to spend? Are there any cool gadgets you would buy?

-NIM

#90369 - 04/04/07 04:22 PM Re: Suggestions for gadgets/toys wanted [Re: NIM]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I just expended $300 on:

1) Revamping my air handling equipment;
2) A case of MRE's
3) A new sheath knife
4) Plywood shielding to secure my garage as a shelter
5) A few small items to supplement my daughter and her boyfriend's BOB's
6) A few small items to supplement my nephew's BOB
7) A few small items to supplement my BOB
8) 15 gals of gasoline and more Stabil
9) I don't remember what else but it was mostly small items meant to round out and fill gaps in my response plans.

#90371 - 04/04/07 04:28 PM Re: Suggestions for gadgets/toys wanted [Re: NIM]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
If you are interested in a nukealert, check out the RadDetect at http://www.nukepills.com. For the same price it boasts a wider range of radiation detection and faster reaction time. I have no affiliation with either company.

Edited by DesertFox (04/04/07 04:28 PM)

#90376 - 04/04/07 05:03 PM Re: Suggestions for gadgets/toys wanted [Re: NIM]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: NIM

I can spend $400 on toys, but I'm so excited I can't decide and I don't want to blow the money (blow by my definition). toward survival gear.

Well, that's a good problem to have! I would say that you should look at your goals, what's important to you, what you're trying to achieve, etc before you try to pick a toy. I try to teach my son that he should divide up "found money" (birthdays, Christmas, etc).

1)Save some for a rainy day/emergency fund
2)Spend some (gotta reward yourself)
3)Give some to a charity
4)Invest some for the future.

You get to use the "Spend some" now for the gear you want. I'd look at the things that I either don't have, but, are important, or that I do have, are important, and need replacing. In my case, it's my backpacking tent, because the aforementioned son has taken my good one, and I have an old one that I had in college. (Let's just say that was a long time ago). Your answer will be different of course, but, it's about priorities, rather than thinking of this stuff as a toy, IMHO. (But, having fun shopping for toys is part of the deal, fortunately!)

- Ron

#90379 - 04/04/07 05:19 PM Re: Suggestions for gadgets/toys wanted [Re: Be_Prepared]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Please don't take this as mean-spirited, because it isn't. I'm trying to understand the 'why'.

Why do people want nuke-alerts unless they're working around the stuff, in which case your employer should be providing them?

If there is a nuclear leak or a bomb is dropped, you're probably going to know about it. If a bomb is dropped, you need to take shelter ASAP, change your clothing and wash off any possible radioactive dust. If the S has HTF, what good will it do you to know your radiation level? If your hospitals aren't already out of supplies by the time you get there, the waiting line will probably be so long that it's useless anyway.

Please explain.

It seems that buying a parachute for a train ride would be more appropriate.

Sue

#90384 - 04/04/07 05:39 PM Re: Suggestions for gadgets/toys wanted [Re: Susan]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I agree with Susan 100%....

#90387 - 04/04/07 06:05 PM Re: Suggestions for gadgets/toys wanted [Re: Susan]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
The nuke alert isn't my highest priority item. In fact, its pretty far down on my priority list.

But, living in NYC, I can envision a couple of scenarios where it will help. The first is a dirty bomb. If a car blows up down the block, how are you going to know if it is a conventional explosive, or conventional explosive mixed with radioactive material?

The RadDetect I alluded to claims to have a directional feature. You can determine what direction the radioactivity is coming from and move away from it. It would also be good to have if someone decided to lace the subway platform with a highly radioactive substance without using explosives at all. I guess you could also use it to determine if you had successfully washed all the radioactive dust off of yourself. Or how radioactive your apartment is after the dust settles.

I suppose the only other time it might be of use is in the case of a nuclear plant leak. But unless you just happen to be walking by the plant (or in my case sailing by the plant they have up the Hudson River) you are probably (I hope) going to hear about it from the authorites before the radition detector goes off. That's not guaranteed though. My reserve unit was activated and I was at ground zero on September 12. On about Sept. 18, I was talking with some EPA types who were conducting air, soil, water tests. I asked them what their testing showed. They told me they were sworn to secrecy and could not say. Then they advised me to wear my respirator at all times. Early on we were all told that the TOP priority was to have the stock exchange open on Monday, and that it WILL happen. Gave me the warm tinglys knowing the government was there to help.

I agree that if a nuclear bomb goes off it isn't going to be of any use at all. You really won't need a radiation detector to know what jsut happened.

You are right to think that these things are of only limited use at best. I would not buy one if I had to decide between a radiation detector and the other more conventional PSK, BOB items.

The other thing that bothers me is that, unlike the other items in my PSK, BOB, I can't figure out how to test the damn thing without exposing myself to radiation. There is always the nagging feeling that it is a snake-oil pr scam and I am carrying around a high-tech pacifier.

#90390 - 04/04/07 06:27 PM Re: Suggestions for gadgets/toys wanted [Re: DesertFox]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: DesertFox

The RadDetect I alluded to claims to have a directional feature. You can determine what direction the radioactivity is coming from and move away from it. It would also be good to have if someone decided to lace the subway platform with a highly radioactive substance without using explosives at all. I guess you could also use it to determine if you had successfully washed all the radioactive dust off of yourself. Or how radioactive your apartment is after the dust settles.

Well radiation particals are moved by the wind. Which really means, you just have to make sure your not down wind of an explosion (or any chemical accident/incident). Besides if the source is made up particals, they might have catch up with you and surround you.

An non-explosive "dirty bomb", so called smokey bombs are generally made of diffrent, weaker radiation emmiters (alpha, beta), which are either not detected or very hard to detect with these small detectors.

and "lacing" radiation emmiters, is a very very inefficient way to distribute it and doesn't creat as much fear.
checking you home and your self is much more efficient, when you use a proper geigercounter.

The only use i can think of these devicese are for explosive scouts and EOD, as a back-up warning...

#90392 - 04/04/07 07:14 PM Re: Suggestions for gadgets/toys wanted [Re: Susan]
NIM Offline

Hi Susan,

My thinking for the nuke-alert was something along the lines of..

Gee that's a pretty shiny bobble!

and...

If I was unable to receive local radio (happens frequently where I am out of all civilization/cell/phone/am/fm/etc) I would not know if a bomb had gone off (unless my melting retina indicated it.)

The nukealert would allow me to scan for radioactive regions in my wanderings around the post apocalyptic word of the future (Which, I imagine is similar to the Fallout world).

I say this laugh to myself. You are correct that it is mostly useless as I doubt that scenario would happen. Any other suggestions for toys?

smile

#90398 - 04/04/07 07:26 PM Re: Suggestions for gadgets/toys wanted [Re: NIM]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Here’s a suggestion… how about a PLB? You may have to scrounge a bit more money, but you’re obviously most of the way there for an item that is functional, practical, reliable, and useful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 260 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.