Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#88714 - 03/18/07 10:55 PM How to make charcoal?
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I need to make about a cubic yard of charcoal. If it isn't created in small chunks, it will have to be beaten into small chunks, as it's for the garden.

My minimal understanding of the process is that you get a good fire going in a metal barrel or something that has some holes in the bottom, add wood or sticks or stuff like that, then mostly shut off the oxygen and let it char.

Some additional details would be great. I'm looking at trying a bag of stove pellets if no one has anything bad to say about the idea.

Sue

#88724 - 03/18/07 11:57 PM Re: , How to make charcoal? [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I find it a lot easier to use wood that is about 1/4 to 1/2 a cubic foot or so in size. For the process I use, if it is too small the fire consumes it too quickly, and if too large the center doesn't convert so well. I actually have an easier method for smaller quantities, but for the amount you need to make, I would start with about double raw wood. Dig a pit and get your fire going. Let about a third of it go to ember, your fire will be good and hot. Get a steel pipe about a yard long with a cap on one end and stick the open end near the base of the fire. Smother the fire with dirt, leaving the pipe sticking out. You want to build the fire so that it will have enough structure that the dirt won't just fall through it and fill in all the little spaces. Now here's the tricky part, you want to bake the wood for at least a few hours (hardwoods, by the way, make better charcoal for cooking purposes). If the combustion quenches completely, then the wood pile may cool too much, and it won't convert all the way. You can remove the cap to let in a little more oxygen once in a while. It is one of those things where you learn by experience what to look for, how the ground feels above the fire, etc. About half the time I end up with a decent set of charcoal, which I can break up with a hatchet or hammer easy enough. I like to use maple or alder, but I guess oak is the best for it.

My cheater method is to build a fire, use one of my dutch ovens with a tighter fitting lid, and put some wood in it and cook it charred. I can make a couple cubic feet at a time this way, and it is a lot more reliable.

Don't use aluminum. The combustion level and reactive vapors will dissolve it into your wood and it'll make a mess of it all.

#88732 - 03/19/07 12:47 AM Re: , How to make charcoal? [Re: benjammin]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Sounds like Benjamin has the best idea. I was going to say you had it about right Sue. The trick is to get the fire hot enough to cook and char the wood that's put on top without burning it completely into embers. However you do it, you're still going to have lots of ash and embers from the base fire. Use them, they'll be good for your garden soil too.

#88818 - 03/19/07 06:03 PM Re: , How to make charcoal? [Re: Stretch]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Okay, that is all making sense. Love the dutch oven idea!

Thank you.

Sue

#88821 - 03/19/07 08:46 PM Re: , How to make charcoal? [Re: benjammin]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
So basically, you make char cloth, but with wood? Or is that a gross over simplification?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#88834 - 03/19/07 11:35 PM Re: , How to make charcoal? [Re: ironraven]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Umm, should be about the same approach I reckon. I suppose you could make a big batch o' char cloth by stuffing a piece of cotton clothing in a dutch oven and doing it like I would my charcoal. When I am swabbing down my dutch ovens during a seasoning session, I use cotton patches from towels and tee shirts, and they will smoke up enough that they will easily catch fire later on. They get loaded up with burnt oil/grease and turn almost black themselves. I never thought to save any of them for firemaking, but maybe I ought to give them a real test. Might've just stumbled onto something here. I can give this a spin this weekend on my bbq and let y'all know how it goes.

#88852 - 03/20/07 03:36 AM Re: How to make charcoal? [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have never needed to make charcoal, but you got me thinking (something I don't seem to do much of these days). I wonder, assuming that one has access to empty metal drums, if you could take a 30 gal drum, cut one end out, punch holes all around the sides (the pointed end of a pick works well for that), then fill it with some paper and your wood, and lite it off (like the burn barrels we used to be able to use in some parts of the country). Once is it burning well, take a 55 gal drum that has one end removed and turn it upside down over the smaller drum, in effect sealing the fire inside. When the oxygen inside of the drums has been consumed the combustion should stop. Kind of like a char cloth tin. I suspect that timing the snuffing part would be critical...

Edited by OldBaldGuy (03/20/07 03:38 AM)

#88860 - 03/20/07 04:12 AM Re: How to make charcoal? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

I think size may matter in the quality control aspects of making charcoal. The bigger the fire pits, the less consistency I seem to get from my charcoal. If you had a way of introducing a controlled amount of oxygen into the chamber, then you would be able to keep the decay process moving so that more of the wood converts without having too much charcoal turn to ash. It is all a balancing act, which is what makes the dutch oven process seem to do better. Smaller batches somewhat isolated from the direct combustion area seem to be most effective.

Given that, yours should be a viable process with substantial recovery still possible after some practice I reckon.

#88885 - 03/20/07 02:48 PM Re: How to make charcoal? [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I guess that if one cut the bottom out of the 55 gal drum, that would leave the bungs intact on the top. One could be removed and replaced as needed, in an attempt to regulate the oxygen. Seems like too much work to me though.

Susan, could you just go to the store and by a bag of briquettes (what are those things made out of anyway?), then smash them up???

#88965 - 03/21/07 01:18 AM Re: How to make charcoal? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I think the brickettes are made from coal (not entirely sure). I'm also unsure whether they contain potassium which I think is what Sue is looking for for her soil.

I might be wrong on the science of this postassium/charcoal stuff (I was wrong once during a debate in 1975 smile ), but, in any case, I put our woodstove ash and charcoal from my daughter's marshmellow firepits into the garden and work them in first chance I get - even in winter. I read that ash losses it's ability to help the soil if it's rained on or thoroughly wetted before being worked into the soil. I don;t understand it, I just go by that.

Edited by Stretch (03/21/07 01:23 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 552 Guests and 132 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.