Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#65814 - 05/15/06 03:54 PM New firefighting paradigm
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Not long ago, JIM made a remark about offensive vs. defensive philosophies when comparing Dutch and American firefighting methods. That rang a bell in my brain about an article I had read a while ago, but it took this long to remember where I had read it.

Here's a Wired magazine article on the concept of "3-D" firefighting. I don't know if this concept has anything to do with what JIM was referring to in that old message, but I thought it was an interesting read. For forum readers in the fire service in the U.S., I'm curious if you have ever been exposed to these techniques yet? From the article, it sounds like most haven't, at least not more than simply hearing/reading about the techniques. The article says that this is the now the standard method used by the fire services in the UK and Sweden for structural fires. I have no idea if it's also true of Holland.

I'm almost half afraid to post this since I figure that some readers will feel very passionate about the topic and the article (like referencing an article that denigrates your favorite caliber of ammunition as being "inadequate"), but I think it's an important concept to expose people to if they haven't already and it's an interesting article even for non-firefighter people. I know we have readers from the fire services of different countries here, so let's try to keep things civil and not take comments made about "your" firefighting method too personally.

#65815 - 05/15/06 05:04 PM Re: New firefighting paradigm
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
The 3-D method described in that article is known to all Dutch fire-fighters as the Box-technique. It's almost the first thing you learn(basic training).

Edited by JIM (05/15/06 07:45 PM)

#65816 - 05/16/06 05:57 AM Re: New firefighting paradigm
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
3-D firefighting isn't really new. It has been around for quite awhile. It's orgin can be traced back to the Navy, who have been fighting fires in well insulated confined spaces longer than anyone.
It works, most of the time... but again it is only one tool in the tool box. While, the article makes it seem like this is a NEW technique in America... It isn't, I was taught it in both academies I went through... it just didn't have a name 12 years ago.

That article makes it look like most firefighters are ignorant about fire... while I cannot speak for all, I know that most firefighters I know have a great level of knowledge about fire and suppression.

106 firefighters were killed in the US in 2005, 27 at structure fires... most of those were due to medical issues... not trauma.

#65817 - 05/16/06 02:34 PM Re: New firefighting paradigm
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I too, along with Romania was taught this technique. In my case that was around 15+ years ago, so it is not new in the US. It is one more tool in the arsenal, and if you think about the discussion regarding defensive vs. offensive tactics, this is more offensive in nature.

As to gas removal, it has been a tactic for quite some time to ventilate roofs to allow the hot gases and uncombusted particulates to be removed from a structure. The use of positive pressure fans/ventilation or spraying a wide pattern across an open window to create a Venturie (spelling may be off) effect have also been useful tools in the arsenal to remove smoke and hot gases.

With that said, keep in mind that a significant portion of the personal in the US Fire Service are volunteers, some with equal training and experience to their career counterparts, many with less. There has been great strides in Firefighting education and training, but in many areas, much still needs to be accomplished.

Pete

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 268 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.