Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#51729 - 10/11/05 02:04 AM kerosene vs oil
Bugman37 Offline
journeyman

Does anyone know which is more effecient, oil or kerosene in a lamp? Oil is more expensive I know, but do they burn the same? I was just curious because of the rising fuel prices I was considering alternative lighting. Oil lamps give off light and heat. Also coleman lanterns do also. (OK< the disclaimer about burning fossil fuels inside a house apllies) What do ya'll think?

Charles

#51730 - 10/11/05 04:39 AM Re: kerosene vs oil
Anonymous
Unregistered

If by "oil" you mean lamp oil, then kerosene and lamp oil are the same thing. Lamp oil often has aromatics added, but in the end, they are pretty much the same base product. The price of kerosene varies depending on where you buy it and how much buy. Buy at a bulk oil seller and you can get it really cheap. Buy it in a fancy pants lamp store and you will get ripped off for sure. It is also very similar to JP4 (jet fuel) so if you have access to an airport FBO then you can get it quite cheap there.

Coleman gas lanterns or lamps generally burn white gas, which is pure gasoline without any additives at all. Some burn propane, some kerosene, and some duel fuel units burn white gas or unleaded gas. Never, but never, burn unleaded gas inside. If well tuned, pressurized white gas, kerosene or propane lanterns burn very clean with almost no CO. The purists amongst us, prefer the white gas or kerosene lanterns; propane is for neophytes who don't know how to light a liquid fuel lantern.

As far as burning fossil fuels in houses goes, remember that our grandparents, great-gandparents, or in my case me, as a child, grew up in houses that were lit by fuel burning lamps, both pressurized and non-pressurized. These days we seem to have a phobia about burning lamps in houses, but then we now have phobias about guns, knives and wild animals too. Coleman recommends a 6 sq. inch exterior window or door opening for each lamp burning in a room. They also recommend that you do not bring lamps indoors until all pre-heat combustion has completed and the lamps are burning hot.

The same applies for Coleman stoves, but give a larger fresh air opening and be aware that any gas stove, including the natural gas stoves many of our houses have, give off more CO when burning against a cold object like a cold pot of water. As the water heats, the CO given off decreases because combustion is more complete.

#51731 - 10/11/05 04:30 PM Re: kerosene vs oil
SheepDog Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wild Wonderful WV
I burn regular K1 kerosene in my heater and in my Aladdin lamp but find that in my regular table lamps and Dietz storm lanterns K1 smell a little too strongly to burn in the house. For these I use an ultra clear Kerosene that I get at ACE hardware or Lowe’s etc.(pant dept.). It’s marked as 1K in some places and burns with very minimal odor in every lamp or lantern I have tried it in. I like it much better than the lamp “oil” that is normally sold for this application. I buy it in 1-gallon cans that are like the Coleman fuel cans and find they store very well.

#51732 - 10/11/05 06:55 PM Re: kerosene vs oil
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
For camping, the Coleman will put out way more light than a regular kerosene lantern.

But, for home use a kerosene lamp can be a good choice. We have an old oak dresser in the guest room. An old style lamp looks nice sitting on the dresser. (Emergency equipment that doubles as furnishings and is cool with the wife! Can't get better than that.) We keep a box of matches in the drawer below the lamp and use it when power is out.

I use lamp oil (lemon scent) because it smells good to the wife. Costs more, but "When Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

Kerosene - Usually cheaper
Lamb oil - smells better

If you look around the house, there is probably a spot where an old style oil lamp would fit into the decor. Maybe one on either side of the black velvet Elvis painting?

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.