Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#42522 - 06/27/05 04:37 PM Water, Water, Water - Dehydration in 90 minutes!
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I went to the rifle range yesterday with my son. It was 94 degrees, and there's no shade at the range. I left my water bottles at the truck - 300 yards from where we were shooting. No problem, right?

I put 75 rounds through the shotgun for some trap shooting (and wondered why I did so very poorly - I had the Cylinder choke in!) , and then we did some target shooting with rifles at the 50 and 100 yeard positions.

I was HOT hot hot. Sweating heavily and all. We'd been out in the sun for less than 2 hours when I realized that I had stopped sweating, I was a bit dizzy and my chest hurt. Dehydration had set in - and so quick! We high-tailed it back to the truck and we both downed a half a liter of water in a moment, and then sat sipping water for a while. I was glad I was able to re-fill my water bottles from a hose spigot at the fieldhouse, because I needed almost 2 liters of water to get my brain back in gear. Now this was just standing around in the sun shooting stuff - not like I was lifitng rocks or anything. Water, water water. It's the key, and I've displaced much of the so-called "essential" stuff I used to carry arround in my kit bag (like a flare gun) in exchange for a supply of water that's ready to drink and my sweetwater purification device. The survival kit is now, by weight, 75% water and 25% everything else.

#42523 - 06/27/05 05:13 PM Re: Water, Water, Water - Dehydration in 90 minute
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, fast. What had you been doing before? It sounds like you were out of balance.

But I like your water:stuff ratio. The human body is something like 70-80% water.

#42524 - 06/27/05 06:36 PM Re: Water, Water, Water - Dehydration in 90 minute
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
Interesting how different environments, physiologies and a lot of other factors all play a role. I spent my lunch hour jogging in 95 degree heat forabout 90 minutes with not a single sip of water and no signs of dehydration. I'm not exactly in tip top physical condition either but I do stay well hydrated in general so when I left the office to go jog I suspect I was already relatively well hydrated and I'm sure that played a part. I have also lived in extremely hot environments since I was 4 years old which probably also plays a role.

I'm glad things worked out well. It's great that you recognize the signs. That was your saving grace.

I hike a lot in 100+ degree weather and don't enjoy the thought of carrying a lot of water so I have gotten in the habit of drinking about a liter of water just previous to going on a hike. This of course wouldn't work when jogging but it works well for hikes as long as you dont mind making lots of stops along the trail to relive yourself in the first hour or two. I imagine this would not be as convenient for females either.

#42525 - 06/27/05 08:12 PM Re: Water, Water, Water - Dehydration in 90 minutes!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Keep an eye on yourself, Marty... heat stress to that extent isn't neccessarily a "replace the water and everything's O.K." proposition... I've worked with guys who've felt ill effects a couple a days later.

Troy

#42526 - 06/28/05 02:14 AM Re: Water, Water, Water - Dehydration in 90 minute
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Well, earlier that day I was splitting (with a maul) some huge Walnut logs and I had also been doing some work in the yard. I may have arrived a bit "dry" and I've had heatstroke before during a live-burn fire training drill that was held in August, and I know this makes me more susecptible to it. All I can say is that I need more water than some other folks. Glad I always have some.

#42527 - 06/28/05 04:48 AM Re: Water, Water, Water - Dehydration in 90 minute
MGF Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Illinois
Was on a noon-to-4 dove hunt one opening day with temps in the 90s, humid, not much wind. A buddy and I each carried "dove buckets" that had about 3 quarts of water each, as well as shells, etc. End of the day, he said he nearly dropped while walking the couple hundred yards to the truck (empty handed), and I know I nearly passed out when I laid back and waited for him to bring the truck to me and the gear. And we'd drank all our water. Amazing what time, sun heat and humidity will do to you.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 516 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.