Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9247 - 09/13/02 03:36 PM Horseback riding gear
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I'm going horseback riding with my sister in a nearby state park. I'm planning to wear some older black jeans, comfy hightop lightweight hiking boots, heavy cotton T-shirt, and comfy denim shirt. Other than that, I'm stumped. Should I wear my leather work gloves? What should I take with me? Suggestions for pocket and or belt gear would be appreciated.

#9248 - 09/13/02 04:55 PM Re: Horseback riding gear
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You need a safer pair of boots! Anything with a lug pattern and an ill defined heel is an invitation to get hung up in a stirrup. You need a smooth sole and a well defined heel to lock against the stirrup. I hope your sister takes the time to demonstrate and HAVE YOU PRACTICE kicking out. Tight pants are neccessary to avoid chafing and your well broken in jeans will be fine. I would suggest a thin poly or silk set of long johns underneath. I would wear a hat and pack a good coat even if unused. Bring the gloves, but try riding without them first. Every horse has a different 'mouth' or steering coupled with the different 'hands' of each rider. The gloves may prove a hindrance getting the feel for one another. For gear always carry 2 knives; a one handed emergency use blade for wrecks and a good general use blade. A quality folder is O.K. Anything on a belt, including the belt can cause soft tissue bruising. Wallets in a hip pocket are garanteed sciatia! I outfit riders with a canteen, whistle, flashlight,folding knife,matches on their person and a quantity of paracord tied off to a saddlestring or buckle. Ponchos or space blankets are easily carried, but you better have the horse 'sacked out' or familiarized with them beforehand. Nothing scares a horse quicker than some flapping monster. A minimal first aid kit for the horse should carry a roll of bright vetwrap, a few large compress bandages and some Phenobutazolidin for pain ( but only if you are familiar with it's applications and dose). Forget all the salves and betadine. Clean water will flush any wound and doesn't make the DVM's job harder. This is minimal gear. Most people buy the biggest set of saddlebags they can find and then pack everything but cement inside. Lastly I would use a neck rope with the end tucked NOT TIED in your pocket. If you do part ways with your horse grab it and hold on. You will need an english noseband or western pencil bosal to rig it properly. The only thing else I can suggest is have fun!

#9249 - 09/13/02 07:13 PM Re: Horseback riding gear
Craig Offline

As far as footwear goes, I've got dress shoes (funerals and job interviews), sneakers, and hiking-type boots. Nothing at all Western. My hikers will have to suffice. I have a baseball cap I can wear.<br><br>I know all about sciatica. <br><br>OUCH! <br><br>My entire right leg was numb all the way down to my toes one afternoon. I thought I was having a stroke. Took me awhile to figure out it was sciatica and what I did that caused it. Bloody thing comes back every now and then. That frigging HURTS.<br><br>By the way, I carry my wallets (one for ID and one for money) in my front pockets. My rear pockets contain my SwissTech MicroPlus and my Fisher Chrome Bullet Space Pen. I'll probably slip my Spyderco Dragonfly or Cricket in as well for this outing.<br><br>I always carry a whistle, flashlight, folding knife, and a lighter on my person anyway, as well as a quantity of paracord. I'm a paranoid geek, what can I say? Grin. As for the canteen, a bottle of Evian will have to suffice.<br><br>I intend to have lots of fun. Job-hunting tends to drive one mad. And I get to spend some time with my sister.<br><br>When I called my wife at work to let her know I'd be going horseback riding with my sister, she began giggling and couldn't stop. Tells you something, does it not? <br><br>As a matter of fact, my sister was so tickled she said she'd bring along a camera for the occassion. I think she just wants to get a shot of supergeek on a horse.<br><br>I'll let you know how I make out.<br><br>Craig<br><br>

#9250 - 09/13/02 09:37 PM Re: Horseback riding gear
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

O.K. with the hiking boots just insert your foot until it is resting on the ball if you come to rough terrain. This is called toe riding.It's more tiring but safer.

#9251 - 09/14/02 12:59 AM Re: Horseback riding gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

One item may save you a lot of grief is if you live in an area with deerflies, horseflies, or mosquitos is bug spray for yourself and hopefully your sister or the owner of the horse will have sprayed the horse. Nothing like 1200 pounds of sweaty,dark skinned horse to attract unwanted insects. Have a safe and happy ride!.<br><br>From another Craig

#9252 - 09/14/02 11:33 AM Re: Horseback riding gear
Craig Offline

Thanks for the tip. Will do.

#9253 - 09/14/02 11:36 AM Re: Horseback riding gear
Craig Offline

I'll look into the bugspray. Thanks.

#9254 - 09/14/02 04:24 PM Re: Horseback riding gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

They use fly spray on the farm where I live and at least the brand they use is absolutely useless! They might as well spray water on the horses.<br>Only if you ride through an area where you know that the insects there are real bad I'd recommend to use the spray as (at least here) the horses don't enjoy being sprayed with it.<br>Remember the horses got their natural defences too, shivering skin, main, tail, scratching and moving body parts.<br>Anyway enjoy! I practised western riding once and got a real kick out of it. But at the mo dont i'm missing the most important part- the horse. I hope to take it back up soon though.<br>Reinhardt

#9255 - 09/17/02 09:49 PM Re: Horseback riding gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

Reinhardt,<br><br>I know exactly what you mean. After trying more than 10 brands of fly spray I found one that worked ( no mosquitoes & the flies dropped dead after landing). Here in the Upper Midwest of the US we get horse flies, deer flies, and house flies plus mosquitoes from March through October depending on weather. Late fall is the best time to ride after the first hard frost. <br><br>Craig in Wisconsin

#9256 - 09/17/02 11:55 PM Re: Horseback riding gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

Normaly when riding a horse always keep your foot out ot the stirrups. Only put the toe of your boot in the stirrup. In this way your are not likely to get your foot hung in the stirrups in the event you fall off.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 302 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.