Just over two years ago, we moved to SoCal from the Midwest. For the first time in our marriage (over six years now) my wife took the idea of prep seriously. The kids were supposed to pack a small earthquake kit to leave at school, etc.

In the process, I discovered some strong differences of opinion in what “prepared” means to my wife and stepdaughter.

The real differences came with food. We’re a little complicated...three out of the four of us are vegetarian, and one eats poultry, but has Celiac and needs gluten free food.

I was suggesting a combination of MRE’s, camping food, and those ration bars (forget the name...I know those aren’t gluten free).

My wife is somewhat particular about what she will and will not eat, and my stepdaughter is downright picky.

Their idea is just to pack a bunch of granola bars in a BOB, and “we’ll be fine!”

I’m thinking about the psychological benefit of a hot meal in a stressful situation, but they think for days on end granola bars are going to do it for them.

We live in Florida now, and the possibility of days or weeks without power and water is very real after a hurricane. We’re also ironing out shelter in place plans...lots to do there too.

I guess what it comes down to is let them think their granola bars are going to work for them, and go ahead with my plans for providing some hot meals in the mix as well,

They may stick with their granola bars, but I’ll feel better knowing there are options for them.