Nearly a week after the outbreak of the Thomas Fire, we and others are back in our homes, but life is not quite back to normal.

Smoke and ash are everywhere. Agencies make a point that much of this is derived from burning structures and is potentially toxic. Evidently lead, cadmium, arsenic, and asbestos are not part of any essential food groups - not good to inhale or ingest! Believe me, ash and soot are everywhere. Today is relatively calm and there is a noticeable haze present. N95 masks are very fashionable and are being distributed free at several locations, including some Lowe's and Home Depot stores.

Boiling water is recommended, due to the sharp decrease in water pressure when the fire was in Ventura. The requirement is being lifted, section by section, as the supply is tested. We are still boiling - basically a minor inconvenience. Bottled water is available at the usual outlets and prices remain reasonable...

Cleaning up is proceeding carefully, mostly washing down to avoid stirring the ash up. Frequent changes of clothing are a very good idea.

Our experience has been rather decent. People losing their homes are in a very different situation. So far I believe there is only one fatality attributable to the fire, and that was the result of an auto accident incurred while fleeing the fire.

While it is quite fashionable on some forums to regularly diss government workers and their services, what I have experienced is quite positive. There has been some looting, and police presence has been stepped up. First responders have been hard at work and there are good results.