My truck's FAK had a test over the weekend and came up a tad short. There is a wound size that's bigger than a cut finger and small than a major trauma. An older lady was pushed into a cinder blocked wall by a rambunctious canine and found herself bleeding from a 1"x1" piece of skin being mostly ripped off. While many of us would have had a minor scape, her fragile skin resulted in a chunk of skin peeled back.

While I was cleaning the wound and thinking through how to use a 4x4 and tape on the open wound in a way that would not cause more issues when it was removed, another volunteer (who had been a nurse in a previous life) pulled a 2x3 non-stick pad and some generic sticks-to-itself wrap (similar to J&J Secure-Flex/Nexcare™ No Hurt Wrap/Coban Tape Self Adherent Wrap) which was ideal for fragile skin. The injured lady was on blood thinning meds so it was important to use a dressing that could be removed easily without causing more damage. Real-life lesson in treating a wound that I don't recall from my FA course.

So today I dropped by the local pharmacy and found two sizes of the non-stick pads and the sticks-to-itself-and-not-to-skin wrap to add to my truck's kit. I liked the way the former nurse's kit was organized too. Nothing special, just a generic plastic bin with ziplock type bags. Open the bin and you can see just about everything.