Anyone who has spent any time at sea will have contemplated the danger of falling overboard without anyone noticing, and the exceedingly slim odds of surviving in that situation. A great story in the NY Times Mag: A Speck in the Sea He kept his wits about him, refused to give up, and did some creative thinking to help save himself. A very good story.

Quote:
In the weeks after Aldridge’s rescue, I talked to several local fishermen on the docks about the search, and not only did they all admit that they cried when they heard the news that Aldridge was safe, but most of them teared up again, despite themselves, as they were telling me the story. .....what seems to go mostly unspoken in their lives is the inescapable risk of their jobs, and the improbable fact that Aldridge hadn’t drowned in the Atlantic somehow underscored that risk for them even more. He’d kept himself alive in a way that few people could, had managed to think and work his way through a situation that, for most of us, would have been immediately and completely overwhelming. And he’d willed himself to live. To be a fisherman and to really know the danger of the sea, and to think of Aldridge in the middle of the ocean for all those hours refusing to go under — maybe that was too much to contain.