my only real bit of true survival equipment is the PFD geared up to be a ditch kit,it's gone out on all my wilderness canoe trips since the 80's. not the same vest or gear as i've made improvements adding and sometime removing items.
the one item that i really felt was the most important was a sure fast way to make a fire. once i was able to get ashore after dumping the canoe with the loss of all my camping gear i would be on the edge of hypothermia in those cold northern waters.
at first it was just a magnesium block,match safes and some in sort of fire starter.later several kinds of canned heat were added but that was filling up space in the PFD pockets.
a few years ago i fell onto the answer by way of the smaller Gaz burner heads and cartridges that came into the market.
in the end i'm using that "orange box" burner with a piezo electric sparkier and a 3.88 cart from Optimus.
not only do these fit my PFD pocket but also into the cup/cover from a 123 Primus stove.

now i can have a sure fast way to make fire.the pocket holds the stove,a cart in the 123 cup along with the pot holder and a spoon.
the photo was taken this fall after the canoe season was over and the PFD was being cleaned up.for the trips everything would be inside bubble wrap and a zip lock along with matches,a sparker and some odd and ends.

the other pocket has a foil bag and blanket for making a shelter,a head net,ration bars and tea with sugar packs.

next trip out i'll have a PLB so these items should hold me over until the ride home arives.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (10/25/13 08:31 PM)