Okay, so I was window shopping at the REI a month ago and saw this cool little alcohol stove made out of titanium, and it only cost $29. Not having ever used an alcohol stove for anything (well, we used to use alcohol burners in chem class back in high school, but that's different), I decided I might as well go for top o' the line. I recalled I had read a couple of good and not so good reviews on this little unit. But I had some bills in my pocket and figured I should probably spend them before they lose any more value. I got it home, and did a bit more internet research. Apparently the model I got was the "new and improved version", and allegedly works better with "HEET" fuel additive than the denatured alcohol that was recommended in the instructions. Not one to ever follow instructions, I went with the internet recommendation, and was reasonably pleased with the blue flame that eventually emanated from the stove.

So now what to do with it? So I had been eyeing one of these Stanley camp pots, made out of stainless with a flip out handle and housing two green thick plastic cups. I found one for $20, and decided it was for me. So it has a line for 20 oz of liquid, and I decided to see what the little stove would do with that. The instructions said to fill the stove, light it, and let it stoke up till the blue flames come out of the little holes around the top. Then you are to sit the pot right on the top of the stove, which helps regulate the combustion a bit. So after about 12 minutes of standing there, watching the flames undulate around the bottom of that little pot, checking the water inside for signs of a boil, and checking my watch to keep track of burn time, I concluded that the stove does not get hot enough to boil the water in this pot before running out of fuel. It did get the water hot enough to make a nice cup of hot cocoa or tea, so it was probably around 180 degrees, but I think 20 oz may be too much at one time, at least for this configuration. Maybe if I used a flatter, larger diameter pan instead, more btus would've been absorbed.

So next time I will cut it to 16 oz and see if it will get it done. I also need to come up with a windbreak, probably just an expedient heavy aluminum foil type. Another time I tried using a sterno fold up stove stand. Even though the little stove fits in the stand well, the grill holds the pot too high up off the flame.

I guess I would recommend the little stove, if you can afford it. Otherwise spend some time with a soda can or two and see if you can come up with something comparable. As for the Stanley pot, it is a decent little pot, and the handle is pretty functional, so if it had a stronger heat source it should make a cool kit pot. Ditch the plastic cups, though. Unnecessary bulk.

I saw another store here is selling the brass triangia alcohol stoves for $19. Maybe I should get one and see how that does.

Of course, I have a little coleman canister stove that I know will get the job done, but canisters are disposable, and I was hoping for something more durable.