Lisa Bedford (www.SurvivalMom.com) this week highly recommended this new book "Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag" (by Creek Stewart) and I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon. It arrived yesterday.

Having read most of it and thumbed through all of it, I'm echoing The Survival Mom's recommendation. Am going to give a copy to my sister in Oregon who I've been nudging along in becoming better equipped in light of the earthquake threat out there (which was not widely known when we were kids).

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Perfect-Bug-...7224&sr=1-1

For anyone who has been following ETS for long, the information in the book is largely redundant and will simply affirm what we've all already learned. But I'm always further motivated by good info on familiar subjects so consider the book a worthy read.

More importantly, this book would be a terrific guide for newbies. It is well organized and comprehensive while also being concise. It includes checklists at the end and gear suppliers.

One new tactic the book is prompting me to do is to wrap all my Bic lighters in duct tape. I hadn't thought to do that before, while I have duct tape wrapped around some other items. I have Bic lighters in a number of jackets and bags so those would be handy locations for also having a bit of duct tape.

Will go back through the book with a highlighter to catch some other tidbits.

The author also has a section on bug-out vehicles (including bicycles).