A recent knife post has me thinking out loud....

Over the years I've bought and used a LOT of knives. My wife would say too many. I have an observation and a related question:

Personal Observation: I find myself leaning toward mid-length knives (4 to 4.5 inches long)with moderately thin blades (like the Mk3 and the Mora Robust). Though they seem to be all the rage on several of the other forums I read, I find longer (>6") and thicker (1/4" & up) blades awkward and too heavy. For tasks that require big hardware I'd rather carry a small axe & saw of some kind.

Side note: Was watching a "Mountain Man" shown on TV over the weekend and noticed every one of those guys carried some kind of axe with them most of the time. I'll agree with that thought, though they are indeed a tad to big for what I see as survival-related EDC and I do recognize the safety risk Doug mentions in his Sharps section.

Question: For those of you that prefer smaller thinner blades ... what kind of blade shape do you prefer? I'm thinking of the drop point like the Becker BK16 & Ritter Mk2? Or the more pointy Mora (Robust) blade? Or the somewhat in between Ritter Mk3?

BTW, I KNOW that folks all have different preferences and that none are right or wrong. Just thinking out loud.

Ken K.