MINI SURVIVAL KITS

While it seems PSKs are all the rage currently, I have been making them since I was a child. Oh, I read Bradford Angiers Survival In The Outdoors until the poor thing fell apart and put together my first survival kit on his advice. An army surplus mussette bag jammed so tight I had no room for the items I would need on a simple trail hike, And I had less than a third of what he had suggested.
Thinking there had to be a better way I began to cut it all down. Even though my hiking was in the New Mexico desert I often had to cross the Rio Grande river and desert rain storms can be monsoons, so I needed a water and dust proof container. My mom gave me a 12x12x3 inch tupperware container which fit perfectly and left plenty of room for food and and water. As a loner I hiked alone and merely told my mother, "I'll be across the river." Or "Past the ponds." I know, pretty basic, and I would'nt let my kids be that vague, but this was in the 70's, a gentler time. Being alone and perhaps hurt, I had to pack the container tightly and carry extra rations and water. The only extra clothing I ever carried was a ratty old hoody. And hiked in tattered Keds. I had to dig into that kit a few times but I never had to actually use it in a survival situation. Moving into my teens I hiked farther and in more rugged terrain, taking more clothing and trail gear and cutting down the survival kit. Less survival items and smaller containers meant more room for what I used daily, and less dead wieght.
So began the trend towards smaller and smaller. A tobacco can. A baking powder tin. "You can cook in it," my brother said. Ever smaller I went. An M-16 magazine pouch was extremely complex and was eventually stolen, Altoids tins, 35mm film bottles, tubes which had held glucose tablets, small mint tins, Tic Tac and Double mint containers. To date the tiniest kit I have made which could be depended on to give one a chance at survival is built into a plastic box which held automotive blade fuses. About 1.5x1x3/4 inches roughly. It's contents are below.

1 single edge razor blade
1 X-Acto blade
25 small strike anywhere matches trimmed to fit and waterproofed
1 homemade spark device
2.5 cotton balls torn up and used for packing now, tinder for the spark device later
2 tinder cubes my own design
1 cut down birthday candle
2 striker strips, one inside one out
2 sewing needles in a bottom groove of the container
10 feet dental floss unwaxed
10 feet strong sewing thread
2 small safety pins
1 copper snare
12 feet fishing line
1 swivel
2 fish hooks
1 crappie jig
3 split shot

I'll try to post a photo with this long, drawn out ramble.
My current project is a complex Tic Tac kit with a compass and magnifying lens and possibly a battery operated light. Yes the container is fragile but it's the challenge which motivates me.
I'm still looking for an old aspirin tin for a kit container.
My question is this: What is the size of the tiniest kit you have ever made? And what are its contents?
Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any responses you may care to post.
NOTE: Fot some reason my digital camera is refusing to do it's job, so i apologize for not posting any pics of the kit.