Okay, this is a bit long so bear with me. Many of you have probably used Esbit tablets before. I like them more as a fire starter than as fuel but they're good for that, too. Hikin' Jim has mentioned that Hexamine lasts essentially forever, even when left unsealed. It burns pretty hot and I've been able to shave it and light it easily with a firesteel. It's a bit, um, "aromatic" in use but nothing you can't deal with.

Only one local store had carried them (Sportsman's Warehouse) and they closed a couple years ago. Everyplace I see Esbit the shipping is killer. Last summer I found some good Hexamine, the same as Esbit fuels, for a good price from Coghlan's. The tablets are smaller but pretty cheap- I've been getting them 24 tabs for $4 with free shipping. Here's a pic of the stuff.

Here's another pic of just the tabs with a coin for size reference.

One item I used to keep in my 1st Aid/survival stuff was the glucose tablets as my dad was diabetic. After he passed away I didn't think I needed the glucose stuff badly enough to carry it around so I tossed it, but by a fluke 5 those Hex tablets fit the tube nicely.

I thought this is a nice, clean storage option for them, but short of spending $2.50 and throwing away the sugar I'd been stumped as to where to source another tube. Then it struck me that maybe a tube meant to organize the same US quarter I included for size reference. And it turns out to fit nicely. They cost me $1 each at Amazon.com with free 2 day shipping (Prime Member). In bulk they can be had even cheaper.

The tubes are made to hold 40 US quarters and have a screw on cap. If they'd been made made to hold 41 quarters I could have fit 5 tablets; as is the cap won't quite screw on. Not a big deal, I fill it with 4 Hex tabs and half a cotton ball. That gives me a super flammable tinder for lighting with a firesteel and stops them from rattling around.

The cool thing is that Hex burns even when wet. It lasts forever, and since it can be lit with a firesteel it serves as tinder and kindling/fuel.