Another positive comment on Microspikes.

Mine broke yesterday! I have been waiting for this for some time. According to the GPS, they survived about 200 miles of decomposed granite, river gravel and hard pan. There was probably another 50 miles of ice and snow. All of this is in steep trails in central Idaho. Many trails are very steep with loose sand on top of hard rock.

One of the wire links that attaches between chains broke.

On another thought, I use them on grass sidehills when I mow or do yard work. The basically work well where ever traction is needed.

I am 200# and carry a 40# pack. My wife is 140 and carries 10#’s. Both of our spikes are worn down to about 75% of the original length. The difference is her links attaching the chain to the rubber are much less worn.

No slip and falls, no slide offs, no slip off the slimy log, no slides down the hill on your butt because of lack of traction.

For those that think that they can repair the Microspikes with a pair of good Leatherman tool, forget it. The links are too tough to bend.

Being I am paranoid about survival, the broken one, got me out to the truck and my spare pair!

Edited by ponder (09/08/11 08:07 PM)
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888