Ok, third time trying to post this...either the "post first playoff Canuck celebration" is affecting me... or it is just the way my day went.

I went down to MEC today(Canada's version of REI) to buy a stainless bottle to build a kit into or around. Some of this has been covered in previous posts so please bear with me...

ARRGGHH!!!

The only bottle(lids excluded) that was all steel was the Nalgene (Guyot designed?) version. The down side of this was that the threading on it seems to be a new thread pitch that does not meet what seems to be the industry standard, of the old 63mm nalgene threading.

There were, however, several stainless bottles that would fit the "standard" thread pitch but all used either an insert or plastic collar that the cap threaded on to.

So I ended up with the low cost GSI stainless bottle with the plastic threaded collar. My thoughts being, that if I had to resort to throwing the bottle in the fire to cook or purify water, my plans have gone far enough astray that i can cut or burn off the collar.

I guess i should have bought the wide mouth Kleen canteen at REI, that seems to have an all stainless contruction and the old style thread pattern. Can anyone confirm this? I just couldn't pull the trigger on it due to the cost, as it makes the stainless nalgene one look cheap.

So with those experiences I offer up to u a challenge...

Who has made the ultimate survival kit, max space considerations, that will fit into a 1 QT or 1L or 60 cubic inch.
Since it seems to be a very common size, it should be a good place to start.

What can you fit into a 1L bottle that will make your kit the best there is?
I will allow for a metal cup to fit over the bottle if you have given up on finding a decent stainless bottle and have just slipped a cup over your usual plastic bottle.

Jenks

Edited by jenks (04/14/11 02:41 PM)