Hi all,

I need the experience of the ETS Forum members to direct me to the best metal container to convert into a hanging pot for use over a fire. These would be part of 10 Ice Rescue kits I am assembling.

I actually need 2 sizes of pot.

One would be for a pocket kit, it would hold the kit Shelter components (AMK Bivy, Heatsheet, 50' nylon cordage, waterproof matches, firestarter). This container would be app. 2.5" in dia. and 4 to 6 inches tall, think 10oz soup can size.

The second container would be in a fanny pack usually attached to a snowmobile. This container would be larger, app. 6" in dia. and 6 to 8 inches tall, think juice can size.

The problem with soup and juice cans is that they have an inner plastic liner painted on the inside walls. This plastic could be burnt/scraped off but it is difficult and I need to make 10 of these kits.

I have used juice and coffee cans as 'billy cans" for years with no problems but since I am supplying these kits to other people I hate to expose them to the burnt plastic residue.

So does anyone know of a cheap metal container that would make a good hanging pot?

I reviewed this recent ETS Forum Thread about ....a pot and got some excellent ideas.

The difficulty is that many of the products mentioned are not available here in northern Ontario and I am looking for something cheap, like a recycled food container.

I had luck in the past buying stainless steel containers at the Dollar Store but my supply has dried-up for some reason?

Does anyone have experience with metal bottles or fuel cans converted into pots?

Thanks,

Mike