I bought a Ruger 10/22 for myself as a Christmas present, synthetic stock with the stainless steel barrel.

While trying to figure out the best way to mount some sling swivels on it I ended up taking off the buttplate. It's held in place with some sticky calking type of material on this style of stock. Since I was in there anyway I reinforced the area where I've attached the sling swivels and I decided to make the buttplate detachable.

I took some 1/4" thick plastic stock that I had laying around, cut and sanded a couple of pieces to fit inside the tail end of the stock, I then drilled a single hole thru the buttplate and thru the new plastic pieces. Attached a threaded insert thru the back of the new plastic.

I then epoxied the plastic parts into the stock while keeping the holes in alignment. Once the epoxy set up I was able to run a bolt thru the hole in the butt plate and thread it into the attached plastic plate.

So now I have a reinforced sling swivel mount, I use some other polystyrene scraps and more epoxy for that, a detachable buttplate and by cutting the reinforcement plate to the right size I can now slip some emergency gear into the hollow stock and they will be pretty much waterproofed. I'm thinking a spare firing pin and extractor and whatever springs are most likely to get lost or broken along with 10 or 20 rounds of ammunition will easily fit into the stock.

I still need to make or find something to put the ammunition and other stuff into and I need to get an oval headed, slotted screw to use to hold the plate on instead of the hex head bolt I used during manufacturing.

So that's what I did today instead of continuing the new years resolution to better organise my workshop.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen