I was 2nd or 3rd on the scene of this last night.
Car accident

I was flagged down by other passerbys asking me if I had knife or scissors. One of the victims was upside down trapped in his car by his seatbelt.

Some interesting things, I was the only one with a knife and flashlight (my Photon freedom on the keychain), I also had a Resqme and 2 lifehammers in the car (I also make my wife carry a resqme and have a lifehammer on both the driver and passenger sides). Didn't need to use the Resqme, another passer by showed up ,said he was an off duty fireman, pronounced the two passengers in the other car beyond help by going through the back seat.

Before we could extricate the victim a police officer came on the scene, and actually asked if anyone had a knife...so I gave him mine and he cut the victim out...a bit odd an LEO wouldn't have some kind of rescue knife.

We started to take the victim out before the LEO came on the scene but the 911 dispatcher told us to leave him where he was for EMS. Any idea what we should have done? Since the LEO cut the seatbelt and removed the victim, I am assuming that was the correct procedure.

I really can't recall from my first aid training what we should have done.

Actually it was more chaos than I would expect, when the firemen came on the scene they asked for help carrying equipment , then the on-duty ones told us to vacate, the off duty asked us to stay and help. I went by the on duty fireman and left the scene.

I wasn't sure who was taking charge of the situation, the LEO, the fireman or the EMS who came by a few minutes later.

Anyone know what the protocol is? The off-duty fireman showed up first, then the LEO, the fireman, then EMS. Who was supposed to take charge?