Unfortunately my seven year old was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last month. He's taking it extremely well, much better then I am, although I'm adjusting. (I've had type 2 for a while now, but I'm learning how radically different the two types of diabetes actually are.)

The hospital and health plan company set us up with prescriptions for the various supplies he needs, and I'm doing what I can to pre-load as many months of syringes, test strips, etc. as I can. I was wondering if there are T1 diabetics on this list, or family members that you plan for in emergencies -- what changes to your BOBs and ready/car kits did you make? And if there is further advice about handling his condition in emergencies/unplanned situations?

We've bought an extra blood glucose test meter to keep in the car and we're stashing candies, juices and sugar-boosting stuff everywhere we can think of. I'm guessing the biggest concern is obtaining insulin. He takes a mixture of rapid-acting and slow-acting insulin in a syringe 3x/day. The insulin comes in little glass vials and (unused) last up to a year. Once opened to use, they will last two months in the fridge, and one month at room temp.

Any real-world examples that you know of that I can look up? Any advice appreciated. Thanks. -Gary