One thing that I haven't seen much of on survival sites and guides is the importance of carrying extra medication with you if you take a daily prescription. I have major depression/generalized anxiety disorder and take a few medications for it, two of them daily and one as needed. If I don't take them for a couple of days, I start getting withdrawals and not to mention a full dose of my depression/anxiety returning. If I were in a survival situation, withdrawals or strong depression would be a death sentence. I've read that a positive mindset is essential for survival (the will to survive) and depression alone would squash that.

It wasn't until recently that it dawned on me that I need to carry an extra supply of medication with me. Normally, I just have it in my medicine cabinet at home and take it at night. With some extra prescription samples from my doctor and some extra pills from days I forgot to take my meds, I put together a weeks worth of spare medication that I carry with me in the backpack I take just about everywhere with me. I put the pills into a pill key fob since it's a small container that holds the exact amount I need. I figured that a week would be just about perfect as I could ween myself off of it or stretch it out by taking smaller doses if I knew it needed to last longer than that. It is a relief knowing that I have it with me in case something happens.

I've carried a first aid kit, ibuprofen, and Tylenol with me daily in my pack, but I didn't carry my prescriptions. When I asked other people who I know take daily prescriptions, I found that very few people carried any extras in case they couldn't get home in time to take them (except for those with asthma and diabetes who usually have had enough scares to remind them.) The only time they took anything with them is when they knew they would be traveling and could put it in their suitcase.

I'm not writing this post so much as a nag to bring your meds with you, but rather to just bring up the topic and see what others do to prepare in that sense. Any tips, tricks, or insights?