http://www.therangerdigest.com/

I just purchased one of these to have a play with and review for the forum. I must be absolutely honest with you: I expected to open the package, look at it and go "what a POS!" For the money ($25.99) I was not expecting a great deal.

I was very pleasantly surprised. It's actually very good value for money.

It has:
1) A ACME Tornado S.O.L.A.S. approved whistle (made in England). Excellent.
2) A L.E.D. torch that is basically a Photon clone. It's of good quality and gives off a decent amount of light. Again, excellent.
3) Ricks own patented dry compass. Quite robust. Settles fairly quickly. I can see advantages to a dry compass. Particularly in very cold conditions. I would rate this as good.
4) 2.5" x 1" signal mirror. This replaces the original polished dog tag. It's not as effective as a proper 3" x 5" signal mirror or even the one in Doug's PSK. But its a lot better than nothing. I think that you have a fair chance of attracting attention with it. For it's size and keeping in mind it's a last ditch item I would rate it as very good.
5) Rick's very own design of Ferrocenium and Magnesium fire lighting rod. This is one item that I took a very hard stare at. Having had some pretty poor examples. First thing that I looked at was the glue holding the rod to the magnesium. It is solidly glued in. It's far and away the best that I have seen. The flint rod gives off a respectable shower of sparks. Again; Very good.
6) A round red plastic container that contains 1 x unlubricated condom and 4 Aquatabs. Expiry date 2010. They are not MP1's but they are more than adequate for most situations. Again: Very good.
7) 1 x wire saw. Same type as the BCB commando saw. In a protective transparent tube. This is a solid bit of kit. Again: Excellent.
8) A small Chinese made 2" bladed half serrated lock knife. It aint much, but it will do in a pinch. Its OK for scraping magnesium off the rod and for striking a spark. I could gut a fish with it or notch a stick for a figure 4 dead fall trap. Just about. I could bang on about this that and the other about it, but I am not one of those damn fool's who want to pay next to nothing but expect Spyderco quality. Rating: Adequate

As it stands it is very good value for money, used either as is or broken up for parts in a bigger kit. It does however need one or two bits adding to it. Tinder, cordage and a one handed method of starting a fire. I intend to add a pill fob with Tinder-Quik in it, 6' of cordage and a Spark-lite. I am probably going to replace the Aquatabs with MP-1 tablets.

Final comment's:

As parts alone it's worth the money.
As a kit i think that it has a lot to recommend it.