I've been making smaller kits for various situations for a couple years now, mostly Altoids tins, holsters, modified EDC containers and the like. Recently however I stumbled onto some of my camera bags I haven't used in a while. I decided to turn the bigger, rather unusual backpack bag into a rather nice-looking 'It just hit the fan' bag for the car or long-term outings. Not bugging out here, just trying to get as much as utilitarian potential out of this bag as I can to push my limits and bit and prepare myself better.

It's a standard-sized backpack, similar to what you'd see a tourist wearing, but is in reality a higher-end camera bag designed to look like a regular backpack. The main zipper compartment is actually only half-sized, the bottom is a sectioned-off camera bag that no thief would know to get into. Likewise, no one would know this pack's purpose unless they knew where to unzip. Here's the product info. The Adventure 7 model.
http://www.tamrac.com/frame_adv.htm
No, mine isn't digi-camo, just plain dark gray. Camo wasn't an option when I got it, doubt I'd shoot for it anyway. Urban camo is a must here, just a backpack no one needs to ask questions about until something goes wrong or needs to be fixed.

I have enough odds and ends around here to keep a small militia going, but before I start picking what goes in the bag and how, I'm setting a purpose for the bag and seeking advice from better knowing individuals. I'm not making a hiking pack, it's far too small to live out of, rather I want a fully stocked emergency/survival pack I can use as an innocent daypack. Needs it may need to fulfill.

First Aid
Basic survival elements, expanding on Pocket Survival Pak
Odds and ends to fix whatever breaks, make the day easier, Macgyver 101
Handle a stranded situation, whether with a car, hiking group or just a missed ride
Handle blackouts/bad weather in outings
Maintain enough free space in the top to still use as a daypack

Not touching a piece of gear yet, going to build off whatever people list. Handy things people keep in similar bags, expert-chosen solutions I can whistle about, geek toys that pay off, I'll take any suggestions.
Also, if anyone wants to make up a humorous or witty nickname for this pack, feel free to share, love embarrassing my other half with my gritty slang terms being butchered with my proper Chicago accent.

Weather is going nuts over here, hence inspiring resurrecting my bag for such a purpose, but also holing me up for the weekend with nothing but my gear, the web, my girl, and a couple weeks of laundry to do. Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions, anything to keep me from tying all these mismatched socks into a noose.

Edited by AlexSchira (08/25/07 08:03 PM)