Goodevening,

For about 20 years now I have owned and used a short Fiskar Brush Hook type machete and have been very pleased with it. The tool is about 18 inches long total with a 10 inch carbon steel blade and 8 inch solid plastic handle (the current model has a hollow handle). The blade is about 1/8th of an inch thick with a curved belly and sharp forward hook at the end. I have really abused this tool mostly cutting out trails, campsites and preparing big game hunting stands. When sharp it reliably cuts one inch dia. hardwood brush along the trailside with one swipe and I usually do this as I am walking, I do not even stop to brace the brush with my other hand. When a branch is struck in the "hook" portion of the blade it is cut through with ease. Larger trees are usually bent over, then cut and trees bigger than 3 inches in dia. take multiple hits but can be felled. I usually carry a folding saw (or use a chainsaw) for material over 3 inches in dia. as it is quicker and easier,

The compact size of the short Brush Hook usually means I have it in my pack and it proforms very well for it's size. Because I usually have the Brush hook or similar tool (Sandvick, saw, or axe) with me to do the heavy work I carry a smaller, handy belt knife with a blade length of less than 5 inches.

Similar Brush Hook tools are is made by other companies such as; a Woodsman's Pal Axe. a Gerber Brush Thinning Machete and a Wetterlings Clearing Blade.

I also use a Sandvik Swedish Brush (Safety) Axe a lot and although it can cut larger trees with less effort, it is not as compact or handy as the short Brush Hook.

So my question for ETS members is, "how do other compact hand tools (like a machete, parang or kukri) compare to the Brush Hook for trail/campsite clearing of woody material under 3 inches in diameter"

Thanks,

Mike