So, I decided to do a local overnighter on a pond close to home. I left here at about 2 in the afternoon, parked the jeep, and walked the 20 minutes in. The place I stayed at is along the Midstate Trail in MA, and there is a lean-to (3 sided shelter) right on the pond. As I am familiar with the area, I decided that thats where I'd like to spend the evening. Not inside the shelter (wind blows right into it), but, behind it, in a tent, to use it as a windbreak. First, I'll give you a breakdown of what I had:
WORN:
long lightweight underwear tops & bottoms
nylon hiking pants
synthetic hiking socks
Hi-tec boots
TNF fleece jacket
nylon glove liners
wool mittens (the ones where the finger part folds back)
black wool watchcap
CARRIED:
Army rucksack
2 quarts water
TNF 0* sleeping bag
3/4 length ridgerest Z-rest pad
OR bivy sack
Black Diamond megamid floorless tent
MSR PocketRocket w/2 canisters of fuel
OR goretex overmitts
1 pair heavyweight longjohns tops & bottoms
Goretex jacket & pants
British Bivy clothing-essentially a WARM puffy jacket & pants
candle lantern
digital thermometer
recording gear (I taped what I could, more on that later)
Mora knife, ferro rod
survival kit
Now, I went into this with several ideas; first, being as it was going to be bitter cold (even without the wind), I wanted to give my bag a run. Second, I wanted to try lighting a fire with material found. Third, I wanted to see the actual operating temp of my stove. Fourth, I REALLY wanted to try out the brit bivy gear.
So, I get to the spot. It is REALLY windy, coming right off the pond. I think, good, this will put a little more stress onto this. So, I start to set up my shelter. I break 2 winter stakes right off the bat. No biggie, I had like 20 of them. Get the shelter set up, get all the gear stowed. Decide to go for a walk.
I wanted to find a place to get water from, but, with the bitter winter we've had, the pond is frozen to well over a foot thick. No dice there. Melting snow wasnt an option either; the snow was too dry, and gathering it was inefficient.
So, I decide that I'm going to grab some tinder, and try to light a fire. Well, I found plenty of dry tinder, but couldnt get it to light. I think it may have been too windy, not sure. So, I tried it with a cotton ball with PJ, caught second spark. I'm NEVER leaving these things behind!
NExt, I tried to cook dinner. This was a no-go. It was 12* outside, plus the wind. I had the fuel in my jacket for 20 minutes, didnt get anything. I finally resorted to crawling into my bag with it, and cooking in the tent. Even then, it was spotty. I know you shouldnt do that, but, I had to have something warm inside me. Had a cup of cocoa, and called it a night.
Well, my 0* bag may keep me alive, but not warm. The last I looked at my thermometer, it was a sweltering 12* in the tent. I fidgeted for a while, looked at the thermometer, and, well, it had died (too cold). I throw on the heavyweight longjohns, and try to go back to sleep.
woke up an hour later, still chilly (mainly just cold spots in the bag). Decided, screw it, I'm putting on my bivy clothes. Threw these on, went back to sleep. Only woke up a few more times, due to rolling over, the tent walls pushing in on me from the wind, ect. My toes were cold, but it was manageable. Also, put the thermometer in with me, to warm it up.
Woke up this morning, started breaking camp. I kept the bivy clothes on, and these things are worth their weight in gold! I think they are made for the british military, but I have no idea who makes them. Wind doesnt penetrate at all, they overlap well, and are all snuggly. So, I checked the thermometer again, 8*, plus wind. I'd estimate the wind was constant all night, about 15 MPH. PAcked up, went to finish videotaping, and the camera had actually frozen. I slept with the battery, but, it simply didnt want to work. So, I DO have tape of the outing, just not of this morning.
All in all, was a good experience. The best part was listening to the ice settle all night. These loud BOOMs every few minutes were awesome. The tent walls blowing into my face werent fun. Nor getting up and putting on frozen boots. But, thems the breaks!
Anyway, thought I'd share. I'll have the video up as soon as I load it.